Friday, August 05, 2005

Marcus, The Chimney Sweep

This past Wednesday, Frau Fahrtmann (above left) told me that on Freitag, today, the chimney sweep was coming to do the annual cleaning of our building's chimney and that he'd be able to access it only through our kitchen window. At 8 a.m.! He had wanted to come at 7a but she said, "NO NO NO. That's too early for the American!"

She was right. Donica leaves for work around 7a just as I'm getting up. So 8 it was, on the dot. Frau F brought in Marcus and after our Guten Morgens, I got out my camera and asked if I could take pictures. Frau immediately started laughing because she had already told Marcus that "the American" will want to take pictures. HA. He even told me I could take pictures of him up on the roof, but to be careful. As I started following him out the kitchen window, Frau said I could get a good view from the living room window (which tilts open, à la the last post).

Indeed! She and I were both getting a kick outta it. Actually, so was he. After about 15 minutes, when he got down, he asked if I had internet (do I have internet!?!) because he wanted me to send the photos to his mother. Awwww. Don't you just love it!

I told Frau that this reminded me of Mary Poppins and she agreed (she's about 5 years older and remembers the movie!). "On the rooftops of [Hannover], coo, what a sight!"

Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky, as lucky can be
Chim chim-in-ey, chim chim-in-ey
Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when I shakes 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss and that's lucky too

5 comments:

  1. It was definitely a bit surreal! And really was like out of Mary Poppins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for putting my son into your album! I`m very proud of him,you know, he is continouing his gandfather`s profession. My father was a chimney sweep, too. Just now Marcus is qualifying in a special "Meisterkurs" to become a Meister in his profession. Wish him luck to pass all the exams, please! Even a chimney sweep needs some luck!
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elke! You've made my day! I'm thrilled that Marcus is taking this seriously. He seemed genuinely happy about his profession. And clearly he's proud of you because he was so eager for you to see the photos. Mothers and their sons! And YOU have surprised me by your good English. Where does that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again,
    well, I´m an English teacher - actually I´ve been trying it hard and doing my best for 30 years already. Tomorrow my 31st school year starts - again with 12year old kids. I´ll have to make them forget the vacations! Isn´t that a pity?
    Eke

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are clearly a great English teacher, Elke! I wish I could speak/write German as well as you do English. Maybe someday. As you start your classes today, my grandson starts Kindergarten in America (Atlanta). My daughter says he was really excited this morning. He's been waiting all summer for this day. But of course, he's not 12 years old! Only 5. Hope he and you have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...