Friday, September 23, 2005

Sermons from Babylon

Time to brag on another nephew, Nate, the last child (of 4) of my 3rd brother (of 4), Jim. Family tree and all!

In 2001 Nathan Hart got his BA in Religion and Communications from Hope College (MI), followed by his M.Div from Princeton Theological Seminary (NJ) in 2004, and is now the Pastor of Christian Education at Brookville Reformed Church in Long Island (NY). He also has a "freelance" ministry in Manhattan with the New York Fellowship. Just this last March he married Nancy Simar. Every day I visit his Spera In Deo blog to be amused, entertained, educated or inspired. Truth be known, it influences how I do my own blog here (but without the aspiration to finese HTML like he does!).

Now add podcasting to his repertoire, which is where today's post comes in! In August he created a podcasting "blog," Sermons from Babylon, enabling him to publish his sermons audibly via the internet. Once you get to his site, he explains everything about it. But bottom line, pick a sermon, click on it and listen! My favorite is The North American Yellowjacket and the Human Tongue.

I asked him why he named it Sermons from Babylon? His answer: "I feel like someone who grew up in the safety of the Israelite camps (that is, conservative suburbia) and has now been sent out into Babylon (that is, New York City)."

This photo, btw, is from his site. I absolutely love it!

2 comments:

  1. thanks! on all counts, thanks. the sermons podcast has been fun for me. hey, with the name Nathan CARL Hart, what else am i gonna do besides preach? :)

    i never realized i was a fourth son of a fourth son before. huh.

    (i visit your site daily too!)

    -The Nephew

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called a Mutual Admiration Society. :) And yes, later I pondered that you were following in your g'pa's footsteps!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...