Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What a Waste!

Today I have a goal to clean out our too-stuffed freezer. The garbage truck comes tomorrow, so timing is everything.

It's something I dread doing on one level because I know I will simply have to toss out a lot of stuff that used to be good food. Carefully packaged-up left-overs! It wouldn't surprise me if some of it goes back to 3 or 4 years ago. All down the drain simply because our eating habits have changed by no longer eating our big meal at night.

When I was awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night thinking about this, I even cringed about having to throw out brand-new Ziploc bags. Or can I save them by transferring the stuff to plastic bags?! You need to understand that I'm the epitome of Miss Conservationist! I can throw out some things, okay, but this is wrenching.

Now, segue to our Hannover apartment in Germany where the typical refrigerator is like the dorm-style one we have in our basement kitchenette here (which we don't use). Look at the size of that freezer! You know what--it works in Germany! You know why? Because grocery-life is so much more simple. You walk a block or two to the market every day, or as needed, to buy just enough (fresh) groceries for a day or two. IF you have left-overs that aren't gonna be eaten in the next couple days, you put them in the freezer and get them out within a week. S-I-M-P-L-E!

Arrgh! Can you tell that I hate wasting food! Freezer burn is right! It totally burns me up to have to do what I have to do. But maybe the upside is that Germany is giving me new habits I can transfer to here. And that would be good, yes!

1 comment:

  1. In case anyone wonders, I was able to salvage 40 Ziploc bags. That's the good news. Imagine how much food was in those 40 bags. That's the bad news!

    ReplyDelete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...