Saturday, November 19, 2005

WOW to the Nth Degree!

As promised, here's my big fat WOW to the Harry Potter movie! Wow, wow, wow! I don't care what anyone else says (Mark says the last/3rd movie is his favorite thus far), it's great. But you need to know that I'm like my mother: a bit too superlative when it comes to critiquing such things. Like her, I tend to see all the things I like without a clue about what I didn't.

Anyway, no spoiler alert here. Just want you to know that those very neat clocks in the movie get their inspiration, I guess, from the old astronomical clocks we saw in Europe. Here are two of them, the first from Lübeck, Germany, and the second from Prague, Czech Republic:

As the books get darker, so do the movies. I was gonna say a child's version of Lord of the Rings but I'm not sure that's true any more?

4 comments:

  1. Now that I'm home, you can see it again! I remember those clocks vividly from our travels. I am guessing you are indicating that there is a clock theme in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to see it again! Not sure I would say there's a clock theme but you definitely see clocks (more than once!) that remind me of what we saw in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do you think the movies are getting too dark? Just curious. I talked to a mom back when book 3 was coming out and as the series was going along she was getting a bit uncomfortable with the books for her kids... (not a particularly faith-based family by the way) but wondered how should could say "no" to book 5 or 6... knowing they were getting darker..anyway...how old should a kid be to see this Potter? I took a 9 year old and a 12 year old (both boys) to LOTR and the nine year old barely opened his eyes for half the movie. Even the 12 year old was against my shoulder for a good portion of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting question, Margaret, after seeing the movie the second time with an audience full of kids way too young, as far as I'm concerned. Kids as young as 5, my grandson's age(PG-13 rating)! I would never take him to these movies at so young an age, nor would his mother! I think even some adults may have difficulty with them (scary), but I don't think the movies themselves are "too dark" for adults or mature kids who understand the concepts of good and evil. I'm guessing the PG-13 guideline is there for a reason, in other words. Hmm, very good question!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...