Monday, November 05, 2012

Neighborhood Demolition: Part II

But first, a commercial break for my Vision and Verb post today...

All the world's a stage....
one day before our American presidential election!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Now, to continue where I left off last post with our neighborhood demolition here in Gorichem, Netherlands!

By the time we got back from our August/September trip to America, the steam shovel had moved in.  Let the real games begin!  I was like a little kid, watching it off-n-on almost every day, with camera in hand.  I LOVE to see how things work.  (When was the last time I said that?!)

 Isn't she a beauty!  I've almost memorized her from head to foot.
So much beauty but what a mess she makes!

I hardly know where to begin because there were two sides of the street being worked on.
Across the street from our back (bedroom) window was one part.
And just next to our retirement complex was this part...just a few yards from our front door.
In the bottom left image above is our complex in the background.
(click collage to enlarge) 

The apartment buildings had sheds behind them which needed to be torn down first.
Once cleared out, the actual buildings themselves could be demolished...

...One by one...actually, two by two units every day.
The colors, the wallpaper...all coming down.

 No sooner was one dumpster filled up, it was moved
and another took its place.
(click collage to enlarge) 

It was like clock work.  I knew exactly what to expect.
And I was mesmerized to keep watching it, over and over again.

This is how close it was to our building complex...as in attached!
I'm standing on one of our walkways for these images.
And that's our friend, Wim, watching and taking pictures, too.
(click collage to enlarge)

Did I mention the dust??!!

When they tackled the 3-story apartment building next to our parking garage,
I watched the steam-shovel operator pick it apart like toothpicks.

Wouldn't you love it if Kony 2012 could be demolished so easily?!

In the above collage I am standing in the parking garage looking back on our complex,
where Astrid and I have lived now for 3 years.  The heaps of rubble are still being removed.
(click collage to enlarge) 

Ditto.  The heaps of rubble are still being removed.

Eventually, when there's money, they plan to build new apartments.  In the meantime, we've heard they plan to plant grass and make it look beautiful.  I can live with that!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Another reminder about my Vision and Verb post today.  We've got a presidential election coming up tomorrow, folks!  All of the world is watching, trust me!
 

16 comments:

  1. Like matchsticks! It is mesmerizing to watch each room be exposed like that ... The exposed wallpaper made it so "personal". And grass! You will love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like a little kid, Margaret. Apparently the main steam-shovel guy, Homer (from last post), decided at a young age he wanted to do that when he gre up...and he did! And yes, we will love the grass...and the nice view to the little chapel we see from our front door! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah it would be nice to have a patch of open space with grass in the city. I hoped there wasn't too much dust going inside your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we're long gone before they ever build here again, Maria. Let's see! The grass will be wonderful for as long as it lasts.

      The dust hasn't been too bad because we keep our windows closed when they're kicking it up. Astrid already said it doesn't make sense to do major dusting inside till it's all over! HA! That lets me off the hook for now. :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing! Love seeing the progress especially since I've seen it! Oh how I would love to have some of that old wallpaper! (One day I want to do some photographing printing on old wallpaper..) Also...your V&V post? Simply outstanding my dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a sweetheart, Robin. Thank you. Next time you come maybe you'll see green grass. :) Oh, and we'll walk around the citadel of our city center! :)

      Delete
  4. What a great record of the demolition process. That machinery ..... WOW.... !! to be up so close and personal to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little kid throughout all of this, Anne. I was even able to take some pictures from our bedroom window and our back balcony. Yes, that's how close everything is/was! :) Thanks.

      Delete
  5. This is a huge project and it is fun to see it so close by. Wonderful collages and I am sure that Homer will love it. All houses are 'dust' by now. Wonder when they will start rebuilding on this spot. I assume it will be some years.
    Love to re-live the demolition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been such a fun mess to watch from beginning to end. I've been like a little kid experiencing it. The green grass will look wonderful. Who knows, we may be long gone before they ever rebuild?! I'd kinda like that on some levels. :) Hartstikke bedanke, MLMA.

      Delete
  6. I wonder if Astrid has had to dust more often. :)

    I'm impressed by the work, truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Even Astrid says it doesn't make sense to do major dusting till it's all over. I still do the superficial dusting every week, even though I hate it. She will definitely be the duster once she's retired. :)

      It really is impressive, isn't it. I've just never been this close to it before, so it's been quite an education. Thanks, sister.

      Delete
  7. It seems ages since I looked at any blog (what with Jim’s illness then the trip) but I am catching up – slowly… Nicholas has sure grown up since two years ago, already. I also enjoyed looking at your photos of downtown Atlanta. I have been to many countries since the Olympics (Africa, Asia, etc.) and have not returned to Centennial Olympic Park since I watched Ray Charles there in 1996 – I also think I bought bricks there for my girls. You posted some great pictures of the boat auction – and my mouth was watering watching Astrid eating herrings – I love them too. That neighbor day looks like so much fun – I wish they had a day like this here. What an impressive demolition task – you showed it well with your photos – I certainly can imagine the noise and dust. You’ll be happy to see the grass though in its place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you back, Vagabonde, after what I'm sure has been a stressful time. Add the election to that, too! Hopefully you both are faring better these days. Catching up is hard to do, I know, so thank you for taking the time here at my blog.

      Thankfully, the noise of the demolition has not been bad at all. The dust is okay as long as we keep our windows shut during the actual times of operation. Otherwise it's all been smooth and seamless. It's been quite fun to watch, to be honest.

      Delete
  8. I "paged through" all these photos viewing each one in large size... I too am fascinated by demolition! My neighbors tore down their house awhile back and built a huge home to take its place... unfortunately... I missed all the action because I had to be somewhere else that day. They had barely started in the morning and when I came home in the afternoon, the house was GONE! It really is fascinating to watch and to see the action through your talented eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget it, Victoria. It all happened before our very etes. And because it was an entire complex of aparftment buildings, it didn't all happen in one day! So glad you could see it through my eyes. Thank you.

      Delete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...