Thursday, November 15, 2018

Bovendonk Revisited: 200-year Anniversary Book Presentation


With that title, you know we've been to this place before, right?...even if you don't remember it!  That's what I love about the archives on blogs like this.

To be exact, it was 4 years ago that we visited Bovendonk, in the village of Hoeven, on the September Open Monument Day that's celebrated every year here in the Netherlands.  It's the day/weekend when you get to visit over 4,000 historic buildings or sites free of charge to the public.  You can see my post from then here.

So, this is what happened.  Father Marc Lindeijer contacted me by email over a year ago to ask permission to use some of my photos from that post for a book he was writing on their upcoming 200-year anniversary.  OF COURSE.  He then chose the images he wanted, I sent them, and he said he'd let me know when the book was done.

Surprise, surprise when a couple of months ago I heard from him again, inviting us to the book presentation on 19 October. YES, we wanted to be there...with the book as payment for my images!

It was a beautiful late afternoon when we arrived outside the gate to Bovendonk.

We were early (you know us) and had a chance to wander around the familiar sights...

...inside and out.

It's not only a seminary but is now also a conference center.
[photo taken of a wall poster]

When the 4 p.m. book presentation was ready to start in the chapel,
the very first person I met was...guess who???  Father Marc Lindeijer himself.

Of course we were one of the first ones there!
It gave me a chance to look around the almost empty chapel, again...

...and sneak up on the organist practicing for his part in the service.
He was the first organist for that organ when he was a student at the seminary.

First, there were formalities with other speakers...

...until Fr. Marc himself gave the presentation of the book he had just finished.

It's in Dutch, of course, translated...  
Bovendonk Seminary:  A Travel Guide through a monument,
"written for all visitors of Bovendonk:  tourists, course participants, wedding guests.
It wants to introduce them to a special place, full of history and experience,
an oasis of peace and a house of hospitality."

When I first met him outside, he was shy, 
but when he talked during the presentation, he was animated.
He talked about the back-n-forth journey of getting the book written by the deadline...
what to include and what not to include!

Following Fr. Marc, Mgr. Liesen, the Bishop of Breda,
presented a copy of the book to the Halderberge mayor, Mrs. J. Vonk-Vedder...

...who then gave her acceptance speech.
Notice her mayor's livery collar (bottom-left)?  It was like sitting in the presence of royalty.

Then, last but not least, another priest called Fr. Marc back to the podium for a final presentation:
a thank-you "gift" from the deceased bishop's office that no one else wanted!
The seminary community decided he should have it.


It represents the back-n-forth of the project.  If you can't take a joke, right?!
[apologies for the dark exposure]

After the presentation, there was a reception in a nearby room.

With a choice of abbey beer or wine, you don't have to guess which we chose.

As we all mingled, the book handlers were selling one book after the other,
with a special that day for all who attended:  €12 instead of €17.50.

Everyone wanted to see the book.


We so wanted to see the book ourselves but didn't dare ask someone else to see theirs!  HA!
[We didn't know yet that my name was on the list for a free copy for the asking.]

We waited and waited, till Fr. Marc finished his hobnobbing...

...and THEN cornered him for a copy of the book, which he promptly procured and signed for me.
I really didn't know I was on the list for a free copy...and could have just gone to get it.
But this was much better...personal time and genuine appreciation from the author!

And then we looked, Astrid and I together...

...to find the 6 images he used.
See how the book looks, indeed, like a travel guide!
It reminds me of all the DK Eyewitness Travel Guides we buy for our trips.

"Bovendonk reflects the desire of generations who have searched for serene harmony with God, 
with themselves and with others...summarized in one word:  peace.
Pax intrantibus is above the entrance of Bovendonk...Peace to those who enter here.
...The readers of the book can also be shown around as a welcome guest 
by Bovendonk in word and image."

Do you hear buttons popping?  Yes, I'm thrilled,
not only for me, myself and I, but for Fr. Marc himself.  He really outdid himself.


9 comments:

  1. How cool is that???? Your photos are just gorgeous, and perfect in the book. I love that it's like the DK books, which I know you love! (and me too) Big congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Ruth. I will keep it as one of my treasures (even though I can't take it with me, ha).

      Delete
  2. that is sooooo COOL!!! it does look like a beautiful book, thanks in part to your beautiful photography!! congrats, sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. I am a happy camper for myself but especially for Fr.Marc because he clearly did an excellent job.

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful post and I think I can talk for the two of us that we were honoured that we were there. The book is a treasure for the book-cabinet. Indeed a travel-book through the building with all the stories as well. I am so glad that your photography did not stay unnoticed and that it is indeed an honour too to see your pictures in a published book. Father Marc did a great job and you Ginnie, also did a great job. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're my biggest Fan Club, Astrid, for which I thank you profusely, as you already know. But seriously, I do not take it lightly or for granted. THANK YOU!

      Delete
  4. Oh how exciting :-) The book looks lovely, how wonderful that some of the photos are yours :-)

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...