Thursday, December 06, 2018

Sinterklaas in the Windmill


By now you may remember that yesterday, December 5, was Sinterklaas here in the Netherlands.  It's the traditional day of giving and receiving gifts...not on Christmas.

It also happens to be the day I celebrated my arrival here in this country, 9 years ago (2009), to start my new life with Astrid, who became my wife 2 months after arriving, on February 5!

But I digress.

What I rarely show, however, is the importance of Sinterklaas himself in this culture.  Yes, you can say he's similar to America's Santa Claus, but he's different in that he arrives in the Netherlands 3 weeks before December 5 to make sure all the kids know he's here.  That's NOVEMBER!

It's a fun story...about how he arrives on a boat from Spain with his horse, Amerigo, and his Zwarte Piet helpers (Black Peters, who are Moors).  You can read all about it here.  He actually does arrive here in Gorinchem on a special boat, with kids watching him arrive in our inner harbor from the Merwede river outside the locks.

And yes, he's a legendary figure based on Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of children.

This is the Nooit Volmaakt windmill just a block down the street from our back door.
It's a grain mill, originally built in 1718, from which we buy the flours for our homemade bread.
Nooit Volmaakt means "Never Forget."

When Astrid told me Sinterklaas was visiting this mill last Saturday at 2 p.m.,
I knew I would try to make it, if it wasn't too crowded.

Lucky for me, it was NOT too crowded, which actually surprised me!
The action was on the first floor up, where kids were invited to make speculaas cookies
while waiting for Sinterklaas to arrive.


I zeroed in on a couple of the kids who were fully involved.

Future chefs in the making, for sure!

Coloring was also an option....
which, of course, made me think of wee granddaughter Hailey.

Then we got the news that Sinterklaas had finally arrived down below!

He brought with him a Zwarte Piet (yes, they can also be women), as black as night.
A child standing nearby, as a Zwarte Piet wannabe, was allowed to hold the staff.

This is serious stuff.
Not anything like Santa Claus Ho-Ho-Ho-ing.

Some kids were afraid (sound familiar?), 
but parents played their part to calm the nerves.

This girl in particular was a total believer.

And then Sinterklaas climbed up to the cookie makers above.

No, I didn't follow him...
but I pictured in my mind's eye what it must have looked like.

It was raining when I left the mill but I didn't care.
I came.  I saw.  I dreamed about the years to come with Hailey!

And I repeated what I say every year at this time:
"Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!" 


12 comments:

  1. This is just wonderful, Ginnie. Sinterklaas is an authority you cannot walk away from. This is a fun time for children who are "believers" and of course the ones that "know" the story and play along. My parents often took me to Amsterdam, for there is the "real' one. As an adult I went back to that store a few times and yes, there was the real one...
    As Ginnie already mentioned, we are looking forward to the time with Hailey and Sinterklaas... that will be fun. IHVJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this tradition, Astrid, made separate from Christmas day. It really feels like that's the way it SHOULD be. It would make such a huge difference, I think, for those in places like America who don't distinguish between the secular and religious holidays! It will really be fun when Hailey gets old enough to celebrate Sinterklaas...and remembers it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really is, Marie. I wish we did it like that in America, separate fro Christmas day!

      Delete
  3. Such special cultural traditions, and in a windmill! Of course. And right near your back door. Yes, Hailey has a good deal of wonder in store. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can imagine, Ruth, this is all very thrilling to me...seeing everything with different eyes!

      Delete
  4. LoL he DOES look serious!! and I would have been scared of him even now hahaha I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling THIS Sinterklaas look would be more scary to those in America than their Santa Claus. HA!

      Delete
  5. What a lucky little girl Hailey is to have you both to open her eyes to so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that windmill. Have you ever gotten good photos of the machinery inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've taken photos of THIS windmill's machinery inside,Ted, but since it's so near us, maybe I will one day!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...