Saturday, June 18, 2005

God Save Us From Ourselves

Silke's post on her LiveJournal website was where I first heard about it while still in Germany. Then Amy saw it and told me she wanted to see it again, with me. So tonight we went to see the movie Crash.

Oh my! Crash shows the power of racism through the eyes of all those involved, from the victims to the aggressors. From those you'd least expect it. I don't need to tell you about the movie, which you can read for yourself. But if I took anything from it, it's that even though I say I'm not prejudiced and don't want to be prejudiced, there would probably be a situation sometime, somewhere to betray me. I hate it.

As I drove home, Walela's God Save Us From Ourselves kept running through my head, so I've been playing it over and over again. You can listen to it by going to this site and scrolling down to their Unbearable Love album, then clicking on the "click to listen" after the song (second from the bottom--yes, I sent this once back in February, 2/7). The lyrics collide and crash around everything I saw tonight:
There's not much left to believe in
but the birds in the sky and the children.
There's not much left to rely on
but the days passing by and the tears in our eyes.
God, save us from ourselves
for we know not what we do.

There's not much left to believe in
but the hearts of the fools and the children.
The good earth is stripped of her giving
and we stand in the eye of the storm and we cry
God, save us from ourselves
for we know not what we do.

Will Planet Earth ever find her common humanity? Will we ever accept and love each other's differences? Will we ever learn to live with each other in harmony? Will we ever learn, period?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...