Monday, November 18, 2013

Our 2013 American Trip: Cental Park, NYC


Remember Robin who visited us here in the Netherlands last year?  She was our first blogger visitor (from our Vision & Verb collaborative) and was also the one I went to see in Dublin back in September of this year.

Lucky for Astrid and me, we had the chance to spend 5 days with her this past October in New York City  upon our entrance into America from Amsterdam. 

In no particular order, these NYC posts will give you a taste of what we saw and did, starting with this post on Central Park.

First of all, here's a map of Central Park to give you a clue where we were.
We entered at 72nd St. at Srawberry Fields (top-left corner) and spent our time in that area.

I had no clue this place even existed, in honor of John Lennon from the Beatles.

Or that Yoko Ono's penthouse in the Dakota is right across the street from this park entrance!
As we passed the gate (bottom-right) at the end of the day, someone passing by said,
"That's where he was shot."
(sigh)

Thankfully, we had other sights to see.

It's the people, of course, who make up a city...THE city.
And on a Sunday in October, they were out-n-about.

But it was the Bubble Man who Robin knew we wanted to see!
We first watched him from the upper part of Bethesda Terrace.

Then we walked down to see him up close and personal.
Part of the fun was watching him "teach" others how to do it.

Make that Bubble MEN because there was another man nearby
waving a grid for multiple bubbles at the same time.
We became "kids of all ages" in that moment.

As luck would have it, it wasn't just the Bubble Men outside Bethesda Terrace!
Inside the Arcade passageway was all kinds of bling-bling going on.
And we got to see it all!

Up close and personal.

And they all seemed to know each other.
It was a grand choreography, blending in with the Bubble Man.

Out beyond the Bethesda Fountain, the sun was setting quickly on the Central Park Lake.

As we left at the same entrance where we arrived, we looked out to the city.
And down the street past Yoko Ono's penthouse, a resident was asking for Peace (bottom-right).

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Speaking of Peace, it's my turn at Vision & Verb today.
It's titled "Forever Blowing Bubbles" but it's about the Age of Aquarius.
See if you can figure out how all that ties in with...Peace!?!

14 comments:

  1. Well of course you know that I LOVE this post! So well captured!! Love that it all worked out and you two were able to enjoy and understand why I love this city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Robin. A thousand YESES. Thank you again for your great hospitality!

      Delete
  2. Robin is right, how can you NOT New York. I love the many many pictures in the collages. everything is 'normal' in the Big Apple, and I think the people are quite relaxed too. Life goes fast, so what a nice way to wind down in the Park.
    I never knew about Strawberry Fields other than the song. Amazing that after all these years, they keep the memory alive.
    Robin did great, to show us as much as possible in the 5 days.
    Great post, we are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memory of that place, especially Strawberry Fields, is definitely alive and well, MLMA. We were so very lucky to have a New Yorker there to show us around...even if she's only been there for 4 years!

      Delete
  3. That's a good start on your NYC visit. I was there last week, and they were putting the metal grandstands along the park side of CPW in prep for the T-Day parade. I grew up on W. 86th St., so I couldn't see the parade from my house, but my parents had friends with a third floor apartment in the San Remo. That's the building with the two towers on CPW that you photographed. If you do a little research you'll discover the architect was Emery Roth.

    Beautiful shots at Bethesda Fountain. On a good day there's always something going on there. Somewhere I have photographs of a beautiful model wading into the fountain just as Anita Ekberg did in Trevi Fountain in La Dolce Vita.

    When I lived in Manhattan Bethesda fountain was rarely filled and the arcade beneath the park road was in terrible disrepair. I hope you climbed the stairs behind the bandshell to the ancient grape arbor and walked south past the zoo to the Plaza. In all my life, the park has never looked as good as it does today, but it was great being a kid there in spite of tougher times. It looks like you had a great trip and your park pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fabulous comment from you, Ted. I had no idea you grew up in NYC! Robin has been there only 4 years and just loves it. She's constantly showing us new things about the city on her blog.

      But, no, we did not climb up behind the bandshell. For one thing, we didn't have enough time. But I wonder if Robin knows what you're talking about? Probably! I guess we'll just have to go back.

      Delete
    2. I spent the first 20 years of my life there. My father was the co-architect with Minuru Yamasaki on the World Trade Center.

      Delete
    3. OMG, Ted. This is when I would pinch you...hoping some of it would rub off, of course! :)

      Delete
  4. the people watching in the park is incredible. 5 days in NYC!!!!! lucky photographers you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're just like you, Maria, loving to people-watch! And YES, we felt very lucky for those 5 days in NYC.

      Delete
  5. The people, absolutely! Wonderful images, as always, and I love that you ended it with peace in the window, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people...and so much Peace available at our fingertips, Susan! If only...!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to go back to NYC again. I was there when I was pregnant with my youngest and all five kids… it wasn't easy to take in the sights as I was so busy watching them. Did NOT get a chance to really take in Central Park so I really enjoyed these photos. I sent father and daughter two years ago for a weekend "date".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you are foot-loose and fancy-free, Margaret, I'm sure you'll have the chance to really see NYC again with new eyes. Have fun anticipating it. :)

      Delete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...