Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Museum in Giessenburg, NL


Two posts in one day, one right after the other, seemed to make sense this time around so as to keep two things separate...and yet somehow connected.

We were in nearby Giessenburg in March to have high tea with Margreeth and Natasha.  That was my first post here.  During the afternoon, we walked into town and, among other things, visited the museum, down the street from De Graanbuurt.  It deserved it's own post, I decided.

First of all, it's huge and a bit of a...well...an intriguing look of the former old grain mill.
It belongs to the extended Boer family, some of whom live there and keep the place running.
It's a privately-run museum with all the contents on display collected by the family over 50+ years!
They call it Ons Museum:  Our Museum.
And yes, that's Gorinchem's Grote Kerk 6 km away, captured from the top floor!

I don't know where or how to begin.  HELP!

No sooner do you call for Help and the 80-year-young matriarch, Mrs. Boer Sr., appears.
She can tell you anything and everything you'd ever want to know.

Like, for instance, how these phonographs work!

How about vintage toys?  To your heart's delight!

Did I mention that we first climbed to the top floor of the building from the outside staircase 
because that's where the museum is.  So after we finished sailed through the museum part, 
we turned a corner and  found a set of steps to start our trip downstairs.

Don't ask; don't tell.
Enough doors to sink a ship...and yours to buy, if you brought your right measurements.

Do you like junk?  Someone's trash, your treasure?
It was hard to know where the museum left off and the "for sale" started.  HA!

See what I mean?

To tell you the truth, I had no clue what was museum and what was store at that point.

I do know that some of this was for sale, as we got closer to the ground entrance.

Welcome to Ons Museum...Our Museum.
I 'spect it's one of Giessenburg's best-kept secrets because I hadn't heard of it in my 4+ years here,
and it's only 6 km from home.

Guess where we'll now take all our photographer friends when they visit!  HA!

16 comments:

  1. I passed this place many many times with the car on by bike and each time I thought, 'I have to visit one time and take pictures'. Not to know what a delightful place this is and a photographers heaven.......
    Thanks to Margreeth an Natasha, we found a new location to take our guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think it took us only 4+ years to go those 6 km to see it! HA! I guess it was meant for us to wait for the Ladies to take us. :)

      Delete
  2. What a treasure trove, oh to be let loose in there with a camera! Bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would never get out of there, Anne. I know that for sure!!! :D

      Delete
  3. Seriously there's so much to enjoy and photograph. Everything needs thorough inspection it seems. Oh I'm sure I'd go crazy with delight when I'm there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only scratched the tip of the iceberg, Maria. We'll definitely go back with photographer friends, over and over again.

      Delete
  4. What a place! So many things to see and appreciate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the places you go... and you have such fun! I would be poking around there for days. What treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are constantly pinching ourselves, Carolyn. Seriously. :)

      Delete
  6. …I can only think… "how long does THAT take to dust".. ha ha. Oh, my. Lets hope most of it is for sale :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! And dusting is my worst favorite thing to do, Margaret! I don't think I'd even do it for money. :D My understanding is that almost everything below the top floor (which is the museum) is for sale...but not that there was a price tag on it!

      Delete
  7. Guess you know where to take your collector/hoarder friends (family) when we visit. :) Don would have a blast looking for treasure in there. I seem to have gotten past my antiquing days. Must be because of already too many things to dust in my own house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don would DEFINITELY go crazy in this place, Rusth, and would probably find a small 'something' to take back home with him. You would take pictures with Astrid and me. So, when did you say you're coming?????? :)

      Delete
  8. I love museums..this looks like such an interesting place to explore...hidden treasures everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it, Donna, especially with a camera in hand! :)

      Delete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...