Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter Redux



If you think of Easter in relation to baskets with fake green grass, chocolates, dyed eggs and decorations, you've come to the right place (assuming you came over to Germany with us yesterday!).

The Friday before Easter and the Monday after are German holidays, so it shouldn't have surpised us to find this Easter basket on our dinette table when we walked into our apartment late yesterday afternoon. Our landlady, Uschi, just loves to do this stuff. You can tell by how she decorates all her window-silled landings each season. Donica says she must have been a teacher in a past life.


In less than 5 minutes of walking in the door, Uschi (who lives on the floor beneath us) walked in with this huge slice of cheesecake she had made herself. It's so big I can easily make 4 desserts out of it. Seriously. She actually was surprised to see Donica (who was originally coming over a day later--today) and was getting ready to go back for another slice until we stopped her! HA.


A photo on James' site yesterday reminded me of the plastic eggs you see on the bushes here. These particular eggs are again of Uschi's handiwork out in the courtyard of our apartment building. Since the leaves are barely out, the colorful eggs really stand out.

For grocery shopping this time, I only had to make 2 trips. Since I can only buy as much as I can load into my grocery bag and carry up the 65 steps to our apartment, it often takes 3 trips when I first get back here and have to stock up.

Two trips. You know what that means: 2 Kinder Surprise eggs! I haven't even opened them yet to see what I got. But I will soon and will have a post on that another day, I'm quite sure. I'm the proverbial kid in the candy store when it comes to these Kinder eggs.

Maybe I'm making up for all those years in a preacher's home when I did NOT think of clothes or chocolates or dyed eggs or baskets with fake grass on Easter! At least not the day after Easter.

17 comments:

  1. Oh ginnie - I love the pics! That basket is so wonderful. I miss those colorful eggs. Actually the girls had two hand made glass looking eggs at the house today. I'll have to take a pic of them tomorrow (no camera today). I just miss seeing all of those eggs. I think next year I'm going to prep P for seeking out something to surprise me with. I just love them...

    Oh and we've got 4 kinder eggs from Easter! Can't wait to see what's inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ginnie - do you know what happened to prarie-girls blog??? It appears that it almost could have been hijacked... Just wondering if you knew...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and colorfol images! Hmmm .... cheese cake ... my favourite sort of cake :-)
    Much luck for finding some interesting things inside the Kinder Eggs - maybe it's a Smart again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ET: I had you in mind when I did this post since you had wanted me to take pics of Easter chocolates over here :) Not sure this is what you meant (Donica says there are places where they're much better). I'll tell you about my Kinder eggs later in a post :)

    Prairie Girl "closed down" her blog a week or so ago. I'll send you a G-mail about it.

    KPK: It must be a magic cheesecake because I swear there are times it looks like it's in 3-D, floating on that plate in the photo. She made it very light--not heavy or too rich. Very good!

    I'll at least say for now that there were NO Smart cars this time (just that very first time!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice Easter loot, Ginnie! :-) Easter is such a colourful time in Germany - reminds me of when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina: And that reminds me of the CeBIT loot not too long ago, the last time we were in Germany (mid-March)! Hmm. I feel like I get "loot" every time I'm here :)

    Ruth: Easter at springtime is what color is all about, it appears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. zer schon! We try to encourage our kids not to get caught up in the American Sugar TRAP, which ultimately leads to diabetes and who knows what else- so this easter, our plastic eggs had quarters in them. The kids are learning about money right now- whether to buy something today impusively, which they will probably lose interest in quickly, or to withstand the consumerist propaganda, and hold onto their money for something they really desire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice welcome! A coulourful Easter basket, cheesecake and Kinder Eggs. Sounds perfect to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gustav: Just for you!

    Rachel: I couldn't agree more! Great idea to put quarters in your eggs. I like that :)

    CS: Yes, indeed. A perfect greeting. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ARGHHH! Now I have to go and buy myself some Kinder....LOL! I think I will post something about it me tooo... HeeHee. Thanks for the idea, BOOTS! (heehee) ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHA, MP. I think my post for tomorrow will be on my Kinder egg collection :) Not very big yet but a nice start with that Smart car!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find upon your return! Uschi rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat pictures; but they're making me hungry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dixie: Yes she does! She's 5 years my senior so we're the "same age" and have lots of chat time together.

    Tim: HA. I've actually eaten only one of the 4 slices of cheesecake I cut. I keep forgetting I have it. Guess I'm not too tempted by sweets but I still like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, how fabulously colorful it all must be! Love the pics, so beautiful.
    Those Kinder Surprise eggs must be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Mad, it's all so delightful for all us kids at heart!

    ReplyDelete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...