Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Cruise, Day 6: Stockholm, Sweden




Sailing into Stockholm was just spectacular because of all the islands we passed before docking. Stockholm, the capital city, is itself built on 14 islands, where Lake Malaren flows into the Baltic Sea. In fact, the city “promise” is that 1/3 of the city will always be water, 1/3 parks and 1/3 inhabited.



So here are some pics to give you a feel for the city through on-and-off-again rain. We took a 3-hour tour of the Gamla Stan, Stockholm’s old medieval town from the 13th century.




After the old town, we toured the City Hall (below), built in 1923, and where the yearly Nobel Prize banquet is held.



As with everywhere thus far, I work on my photo albums while Donica naps or watches tennis.

Tonight we set our clocks one hour ahead (7 hours ahead of Atlanta) for our cruise into the Gulf of Finland, where we will be the next 4 days. It's hard to believe that we are only half-way through this cruise! We still have basically a week to go of incredible discovery and visual delights.

Tomorrow’s port is Helsinki, Finland.


10 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Stockholm was made up of islands!! All your photos are wonderful, but that first one is just so
    picturesque. And I love all the architectural shots too. What a beautiful place. Have you managed to add to your 'penny' collection at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are seeing many great things on your cruise. I envy you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first photo so much!! It seems like the illustration of a fairy tale. How beautiful!!
    I like Stockholm’s old medieval town’s photo also. It is the scenery which cannot be seen in Japan.
    Of course, I love spire’s photo. You LOVE them, don’t you? ;)

    Nori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, and I can't believe you still have half the trip ahead of you! It makes me so happy for you!

    Love to you both. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ditto Ruth's comments -- hard to believe you still have so much more ahead of you in this wonderful trip. I miss our daily chats, Mom! (But I'm glad you have this opportunity . . .) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see all that one day... Your pics are wonderful. I'm glad you still have many more wonders to see! And RUSSIA commin'! OMG! You are lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ginnie! I LOVE LOVE that first photo and the second one of the street. I took a photo like that in Solothurn. It's beautiful! Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're following your adventures. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...