Sunday, January 23, 2005

To Be IN SOUL

In naming my blog IN SOUL, I am naming a desire for the sunset of my life: to be SOULFUL. I want to live in the moment and be emptied of anything/everything that inhibits SOULNESS.

In Thomas Moore's Care of the Soul, he paraphrases Marsilio Ficino from the 15th century: "The mind, he said, tends to go off on its own so that it seems to have no relevance to the physical world. At the same time, the materialistic life can be so absorbing that we get caught in it and forget about spirituality. What we need, he said, is soul, in the middle, holding together mind and body, ideas and life, spirituality and the world."

What will get in my way more than anything is my mind. I think ahead (and get out of the moment); I think behind (and get out of the moment). It is hard for me to stay in the moment to milk it for all its worth. I need SOUL IN THE MIDDLE of the moment.

This is my goal in my 60th year: to be IN SOUL.

"There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul." Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

4 comments:

  1. Boots,

    This post reminds me of Eckard Tolle's The Power of Now, which is also excellent. I highly recommend it for this topic.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth. You know I always like your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked for and got The Power of Now for Christmas. Something recommended to me. But then one of my family members started reading from it sarcastically and NOW I am putting off reading it!

    How do you know when people comment! Do you have a special flagging system?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan D: Just for clarification, are you putting off reading it because you can't get to it (since the other person is reading it) or because the sarcastic comments are making you feel you don't want to read it? It is definitely not a fast read. I had to read his following book very slowly (with lots of repetition, I understand from the first one).

    When people comment, I receive an e-mail with their comment, no matter from how far back in my blog (like this one from you which goes back to a post from 2 years ago!). I think you have to click on something in the settings for that. Let me know if you need more help with that.

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...