Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Strome Hetch


If you like spoonerisms as much as I do, this is one of my favorites: I'm in the "strome hetch," finally!

Halloween is now behind us...when once again we did what's become a family tradition, carving pumpkins, roasting seeds, eating a great lunch and playing cards. I love it that Nicholas is growing up with these memories, with Uncle Mark included.

That was October 31, two weekends ago.


This past weekend, Friday and Saturday, was my estate sale, put on by a professional family "gang" I found on the Internet. I was particularly drawn to the website and how it was set up: Good Buys. And once I called the contact lady and met her, I was sold. It was as easy as that. It helped, of course, to know that I didn't have to do anything (other than to get things ready!). I knew up front their minimum take would be $1,500, but it was a no-brainer that it would be totally worth it. It was! My only hope was that I, too, would make that much. I did...and more. AND I still have pieces of furniture and small items left that my flea-market lady wants for her shop and she's willing to pick it all up for me next week. So the opera still isn't over, in a good sense! It's a win-win situation for both her and me.


The pure joy of the weekend was fantastic, sunny weather both days! It felt like the heavens were smiling down on us. I didn't have to hang around but I did, directing traffic off the side of the drive all day long, from 9 - 4. The "gang" said it made all the difference in the world. I knew it would, which is why I did it. I wanted it to be a good experience for everyone.

Today it's raining! Cozy, cozy for me (terrifying for those elsewhere in Atlanta who will get more flooding, yet again). Little by little I am adding to my 2 ABF TruckPacks that will hold the rest of my earthly possessions.


In the beginning, I actually had to get inside the boxes to pack them compactly. I love puzzles, so the entire process has been a delight, fitting each piece in place. They will be loaded to the gills by next week, when they'll be picked up for shipping to Rotterdam. Estimated date of arrival is December 7 and we'll drive to Rotterdam to pick them up on Saturday the 12th. That's the plan.

I'm not yet exactly counting the days, because I'm still waiting to find out the quit-claim and refi date on the house. Once that happens, I'll be counting, trust me. God willing and the creek don't rise, I hope to fly out of Atlanta on Friday, December 4, arriving in Amsterdam on Saturday, Sinterklaas day. The day of gifts! Somehow that seems so appropriate, don't you think?!

But I'll post at least once more before then to say Happy Thanksgiving and bid you all adieu from Atlanta. THEN I'll be saying something like "Tunce upon a whime in a coreign fountry...."

11 comments:

  1. It's really happening. Man.

    Word verification: flownthr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you manage and organize things really well Ginnie - keep up the good work and good luck with your packing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginnie this is all so exciting! Wow, it is crazy that maybe you are celebrating the last of a Halloween tradition for a while, or perhaps thats for a visit..

    Love the play on words too! Oh and I've got lots of thinking... Wishing...

    That would be a dream to arrive on the 6th.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth: I know! I'm still pinching myself. Time has been flying all along but now it's fleeting away. I'm having to grab the moments as they come by. Don't you love the synchronicity of word verification at times!

    Renny: You're a sweetheart. Thank you!

    ET: I have actually talked about October as a big month for all of us...the kids' birthdays are Sept. 30 and Oct. 6, the Fair for Nicholas, and Halloween for all of us. It may be more important to visit then than at Thanksgiving/Christmas? That way I can be in Holland for Sinterklaas on Dec. 5... Lots to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It's all happening now, isn't it? I am laughing at the thought of getting inside the boxes and packing things puzzle-tight. I'd be the same way. I love puzzles too. At the grocery store checkout I always have to arrange things on the belt so that they are tightly packed. I hate throwing things on randomly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed that you'll be able to put all your beloved belongings in those 2 big yet TINY boxes. My craft stuff would need 4 of them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lieve schat, I am always impressed by your blog, the way you say things, the way you do things, the way you choose the pictures with it.
    3 more weeks and I will pick you up at Schiphol, today Sinterklaas arrived at the harbour of Gorinchem, it rained, but he is there.....
    In 3 weeks it will be the 5th of Dec. this year Sinterklaas will be the most memorable of all and they have to come from Mars to tell me that he is just as real as the Christmas Man.....right??
    Still counting down.
    KSK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you, Ginnie! I'll be counting the days with you my friend, conting for the start of a new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to believe that you're actually goind so soon. I hope you'll keep this blog going, I'd like to stay in touch. Maybe one day I'll actually visit Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my - I'm just not able to believe time has flown so quickly!

    It seems like just yesterday you were saying the estate sale was coming up - and now it's come and gone and I missed it all! Well, not all. This entry is just filled with all of the wonder and excitement of a sea change. The best part is that all your virtual friends also get to "see change" happen before our eyes.

    That's a lot of work done, and a bit more to be done, from the looks of things. Aren't you glad you haven't been living in the House of the Seven Grables?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen: We must be made from the same cookie cutter! HA! I love it.

    Mad: Just picturing all your craft supplies makes me smile! You would have a ball packing them all up! :)

    Astrid: It's now down to 2 weeks and 2 days, MLMA. Can you believe it?! Talk about flying high!

    CS: It is definitely a new adventure, Sandra. Did we ever believe I'd get this far???

    Sham: I will definitely keep this blog going...and maybe a bit more regularly? I will have so much to share of my new world, I know!

    SA: I do love your play on words, Linda! The change is happening before MY eyes as well. Every day it seems like a new milestone is hit. And yes, THANK GOD I don't live in the House of Seven Gables!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...