Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Saturday's Weathervane Bonanza


Sometimes Astrid and I go for a joyride out in the polder just to find weathervanes.  Seriously.  It so happens she has been riding her bike recently for long (45 km) trips, and when she comes home will say, "I want to drive you on my bike route so you can see all the weathervanes!"

So, we did just that this past Saturday and had a blast:  48 weathervanes in less than 2 hours.   THAT'S a bonanza!

The first thing I did was divvy them up into manageable groups/themes.
First, the arrows.  Did you know there could be so many different styles?

Then all the birds.  Okay, there's also an animal,
but that's my first parrot, I think.
Sometimes I even get a real bird, freeloading (middle-left).

I suppose these are birds, right?
But usually you don't see such a good variety on the cock theme.

More freeloaders on a couple of these animals.

And then, everything else!
I can't always get a good angle on a vane and have to take what I get.
I decide it's better than nothing, of course.

I should mention that I DO take pics of anything else that grabs my eye,
like these sheep who just yakkity-yakked 100 mph when we stopped to visit them.

And then there are still impressions, wherever we go.
I was almost too late in grabbing the two ladies (bottom-right)
who seemed to be having their own sweet yakkity-yak, side by side.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 

On another note, Nicholas received the photo book on Tuesday of his visit here.  This is what he wrote me:  

Hey Grandma, the book finally arrived today! I waited for mom to get home to open it. The book looked really good on the outside. We read and looked at every single page and it was very fun to see everything again. I loved the book and I can't wait to show everyone else! By the way I loved the last page of the book it made me laugh! Haha  
Love Nicholas

How does it get any better than that!

14 comments:

  1. (sad face) Cats are not weathervane worthy?

    Will this be the start of the traditional annual visit from N?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL about the cats, Maria. HA! It's so strange but we don't find cat vanes here. If ever I do, you'll be the first to know!

      And re Nicholas coming here annually, I wonder if he'll ever come again?? Life will get in his way, I think...summer jobs, college, etc. I have a feeling I got that one window of opportunity and grabbed it at just the right time. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. What a delight this collection is. I rarely see a weathervane. In fact, I can't remember the last time. Here in Texas, this sort of art is more associated with ranch gates -- both are lovely.

    It's great that Nicholas came to visit, and that he has a Grandma who can offer such a great memento of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When your whole life (out in the polder) depends on the direction of the wind, these weathervanes make a lot of sense, Linda, don't they. I can't begin to tell you how soulful they are to me.

      The Nicholas Trip was a gift of a lifetime (for my 70th!) and will never be forgotten. It was fitting to memorialize it with a book. And he loves it, which makes it even better.

      Thank you for stopping by again. Long time no see!

      Delete
  3. Your weathervanes are quite delightful. I wish there was one on my house. Instead of a weather vane, I have some messy pigeons and a couple of seagulls from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I'd take a weathervane any day, Sham! And if I had one, I wonder what I would choose. That's the question. You get the feeling that people choose a vane based on their hobby, occupation or particular interest in life. I don't see many windmills, to be honest (vanes, that is), so maybe I would want one of those?! What would YOU choose, I wonder??

      Delete
  4. These are so great! I really love the apple and pear one! And wonderful to read Nicholas' note! BRAVA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weathervanes have become one of my most soulful treasures these days, Robin. If you had told me 6 years ago that would happen, I wouldn't have believed you!

      And yes, Nicholas' response has made it all worthwhile. :)

      Delete
  5. On the bikes rides I always make sure I spot the weather vanes. On this trip I saw so many, we had to take the tour together. You did a great job. I will keep my eyes open for a 'cat' weather vane...
    The apple and the pear is wonderful. Amazing what kind of variety there are. It is fun...
    IHVJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you keep your eyes open for me, which I absolutely love about you. THANK YOU! We should do this more often. :D

      Delete
  6. Really a beautiful positing. The crisp silhouettes of the first montages are like chamber music, and the orchestra comes in with the sheep. OK< here’s a challenge for you and Astrid: If there are so many iron or tin weather vanes, there must be shops of welders making these. If you have already photographed such places, then I have forgotten. If not, it must be there somewhere to be found - not a store with a display person, but a real forge. Whatever you do, don’t stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a wordsmith, Ted! And a musician, to boot! Astrid and I will take you up on the challenge and see what we can discover in the days/weeks to come. Stay tuned! :)

      Delete
  7. I can't get over all these weather vanes...there is one neighborhood close by that has some and I just noticed them recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weathervanes have become one of my biggest and most soulful treasures of late, Donna. I never would have expected that in a hundred years! :)

      Delete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...