Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Koblenz, Germany, Weekend


If I'm not careful, things are really gonna pile up on me any day now, all because we've just finished two wee get-away trips two weeks apart.  What a nice predicament, right?!

First, we took the Friday-to-Sunday weekend after Thanksgiving to go far enough away (300 km, 3 hours by car) to forget I wasn't home with my family for the holiday.  It's still the hardest time for me to be away...but taking a trip seems to help.

Our home base while gone was in Koblenz, Germany, where we spent the day on Friday seeing as much as possible, before venturing out on Saturday and Sunday.

We knew we'd end up at the Christmas Market in city center, so we started first near the Rhine River.
This 10-meter history column at the Gorres Place greeted us outside our parking spot.

A short walk to the Rhine River offered a delightful restaurant stop to begin our (main meal) midday. 

Inside we actually overlooked the river...and other goodies.

These were our views looking across the river right outside the restaurant after eating.
If the sky lift had been open that day, we would have taken the ride to see the view from it.

But it didn't matter, of course, because we can't always see/do everything.
In fact, right there at the sky lift we could see the Basilica of St. Castor, which was next on our list.

How can you not be awed by such architecture!

By now you already know that I first take pics of the nave,
first towards the altar and then behind to the organ in the back.

Then I go for the pulpit and the font....

...followed by the usually amazing ceilings....

...and then the closer-ups....

...and other details.
There's always enough to find.  Something for everyone.

Just outside the church, we headed to the statue of Emperor William I at the Deutsches Eck .

The Deutsches Eck is the "German Corner" where the rivers Mosel and Rhine converge.
This is the point we were dropped off at while on our Viking River Cruise in 2013,
before being bused to the Marksburg castle nearby.

So if the statue looks familiar, that's why!
It's HUGE, 14 meters high....

...and tall enough to climb up and inside, seeing the views from a different perspective.

Back down on the ground, we walked along the Mosel River towards city center,
just as the sun was setting by late afternoon.

Looking inland we saw the basilica again, followed by other architecture and many impressions,

before then turning into the Christmas markets...all 7 of them flowing together.

We LOVE the German Christmas markets.

So many goodies to eat.

So many things to admire and/or buy.

And because the market is at the main square, there was another church to see:
the Liebfrauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) Roman Catholic church.

The back-n-forth pics of the nave...

...followed by quick impressions.

As we went back outside, there was St. Nicholas waiting to welcome us.
In the Netherlands he's called Sinterklaas.

And that was it.  Not so short and sweet...but with lots of short-of-eyes impressions,
both coming and going.

That was just the first day...HA!
See what I mean about things piling up?!


10 comments:

  1. It still is amazing how many collages you can fit into a post. I love it. It is our memory of that day and since we do so much we might forget. Thank you over and over again for all the time you put into making these wonderful memories. Beautiful pictures. We were so lucky with the weather too.
    And thank you for being my partner in crime in all these wonderful trips we make. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me well enough to always be my Partner in Crime. HA! I love it. Luckily we have a way to keep track of all our memories! THANK YOU for appreciating all the work that goes into preserving them.

      Delete
  2. You gals are living the dream! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, Robin, everything is at our fingertips here where we live. I still pinch myself...ALL. THE. TIME.

      Delete
  3. Amazing, really. And who would dream that we would be able to see pictures of you in heaven? :)

    Out of curiosity, do you look into restaurants online before you travel? Or do you wing it and see what looks good along the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ruth. This is definitely the closest thing to heaven that I can imagine! :) As a rule, we research everything (Astrid does most of it!) EXCEPT the restaurants, just going with the flow on where we eat by when and where we are. I have a feeling you might do it the other way around??? :D

      Delete
  4. One of your very best. Each place was more a fantasy than the last. Sorry - didn’t remember the statue. Jane and I went to hear a talk last night by Paul Goldberger, former architecture critic of the NY Times. What a hard dry shell of a world he showed in comparison to your churches. To pick one thing above all else, that view of St, Castor from the front, yes, what a building! And all the church interiors so filled with pattern and color! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always so generous with your comments, Ted, for which I thank you. By now you know how much I love architecture and the interiors of these churches (which were NOT part of my up-bringing). If I didn't compile them in these posts, however, they'd all run together!

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to visit a Christmas Market...perhaps I will get there one day....love some of those ceilings and those churches. Sinterklaas was made famous here in Miracle on 34th Street as I am sure you know...love to see him in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all like a fairy tale to me, Donna, as you can imagine, having grown up outside of Europe. I still pinch myself!

      Delete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...