Thursday, February 14, 2019

Dubrovnik, Croatia: Redux


This is a surprise for me, to go back to 2007 and revisit a place I had all but forgotten about.  But there's a reason....

First of all, I'm working on a comprehensive photo book of images that showcases the different places/countries I've been fortunate to visit over the years.  Just when I think I've covered all the bases, another country pops up...like Croatia.

Croatia is the operative word here, because right now it's at the top of the list of where I want to go next year for my 75th celebration.  Santorini, Greece, is also up there, but Croatia may win out because we've heard so much about it from many sources.

And THEN I realized I had already been to Dubrovnik, even if for only a day back in 2007 when Donica and I were on our Mediterranean cruise.

So, this is a way of whetting my appetite again....

What I most remember is sailing into the city and passing under the big bridge....

...and admiring the lighthouse that first greeted us.

Dubrovnik fronts the Adriatic Sea, so, yes, there was water everywhere.
And besides that, it was a rainy day!

Here you can see Croatia...

...with Dubrovnik all the way down at the bottom tip of the country.
The capital city, Zagreb, is way at the top.
(A possible trip next year would take us along the entire coast, 1,104 miles, via coach for 12 days.)

Massive stone walls from the 16th century surround the old town center.

Most of you know that THIS is what I most love about Europe...the OLD part.

Talk about being "protected."  But from what?

A city that sits on a hill and goes down to the sea has breath-taking views, of course.
What goes up must come down.

HA!  Exactly.

The OLD TOWN feel is in my hart-n-soul!

How else can you explain it.
(Sister Ruth would probably say it's in my DNA.)



And always near the water!

So I had to let my creative juices flow.


Back on the ship, we passed under the bridge again....

...and then out to sea.

That was 12 years ago!  Would I want to return to a country with that kind of "appetizer?"  OMG, yes.  But I have a year to decide.  If you've been there and want to convince me, please do, of course.  But based on what I've seen of the rest of the country, it's kinda like a no-brainer!

Besides, maybe we can do Santorini the next year, right?

To those of you who celebrate it (we don't...it's American!)
Happy Valentine's Day


14 comments:

  1. I’ve never been to Croatia but it sure looks fabulous. The old always fascinates me too, Ginnie. North America can’t compete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a quote I learned when I moved to the Netherlands, Marie: "200 miles vs. 200 years." The Europeans are amazed by the long-distance journeys we make in America without batting an eye, while we Americans in Europe drop our jaws on the floor when we visit anything over 200 years!

      Delete
    2. I have never heard this saying, how perfect!

      Delete
    3. I actually did a post on it, Ruth, back during Vision and Verb days: http://ginniehartvv.blogspot.com/2013/05/200-years-vs-200-miles.html

      Delete
  2. This looks very nice and it is old and I love coasts like these. I like to carry your suitcase (HA) in case we make this trip. Let us first see how the trip to Italy goes and maybe we meet somebody who did this trip... you never know. I love these pictures. The places you visited..... IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we'll do Italy first, with the same coach company, to see how it goes. I have a feeling we'll be totally sold! Thanks for being my Partner in Crime. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what a gorgeous city, and no wonder you want to return for a longer visit. Just amazing. I can picture you and Astrid eating it all up together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Ruth, especially with 1000+ miles of coastline! Bill and Linda were there but I don't know how they traveled and/or what they saw. I'd love to find out.

      Delete
  4. wow!! i can't blame you for wanting to go back and see more!! i have never really heard of Croatia being super travel destination, but now i wonder why not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my ex-husband and his wife have been there and were effusive about it. A couple here where we live has been there at least 60 times! With 1000+ miles of coastline, you know it's got to be incredible.

      Delete
  5. And a happy Valentines Day (VD?) to you both. Beautiful photos. I love that rugged, weathered look. Glad it is not a war torn look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rugged and weathered! That's the look I love, Ted, so YES, that's it! And I agree that it's not a war-torn look. Thank God.

      Delete
  6. Croatia has been on my list too...as I've always heard wonderful things about this country. So thanks for the taste and keep me posted on what you learn. Also, perhaps it's because I'm in Vietnam...but unable to access your shutter feeds. Says it's not secure. Ha! Will try again when I return to the states. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, it sounds like everyone is hearing/saying the same thing about beautiful Croatia. I'm paying attention! And yes, others are mentioning the security "issues" with SC. Just this morning I sent a message about it to our moderator. (sigh)

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...