Thursday, September 26, 2019

Austria Trip 2019: The Churches


There were five of them that we actually visited, all of them in Austria...and all different in size and shape and decor.  You know us in that they have become the "museums" we most enjoy entering wherever we go.

Here they are in the order in which we saw them:

1.  Parish Church of Maria Heimsuchung, Ehrwald, Austria

It was built in the Baroque style in 1648.

We visited it on a rainy day when we stayed put in Ehrwald, our home base for the week.
It's a village of ca. 2,500 people in the state of Tyrol.

Look at that very modern-looking ceiling!

The organ, pulpit and...what struck my eye.

Even on a rainy day we do visit the cemeteries, yes!

2.  Parish Church of St. Catherine, Lermoos, Austria

This, too, is in the Baroque style, built in 1751.

Lermoos is the neighboring village of Ehrwald, just 4 km away.
Like Ehrwald, it sits in the shadow of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain.

Even though the village is less populated than Ehrwald, at ca. 1,150 people,
it's church seemed much more opulent.

The painting behind the altar is of the beheading of St.Catherine, the church's patroness.

A ceiling similar to but different from Ehrwald's!

The organ, pulpit and...what struck my eye.
[Oh, and yes, there was class for kids while we were there.]

3.  The Cathedral of St. James, Innsbruck, Austria

This is a Baroque cathedral that was started in 1717 and consecrated in 1724. 
Innsbruck is the capital city of Tyrol and is the 5th largest city in Austria.

It was a gorgeous day for photos outside!

But it's the inside that takes your breath away!

The nave and altar...

the ceiling...

the organ...

the pulpit...

and...what struck my eye.

4.  The Basilica of Rankweil, Austria

It sits atop a hill and was first known as a fortress church ca. 700.
Today it is a Gothic parish and pilgrimage church of Our Lady Maria and Visitation.

It really IS up on a hill, which we climbed on another rainy day.

It was actually a bit like a maze, through courtyards...

 and finally a passageway to the sanctuary...

which was quite dark inside, mainly in the nave, looking towards the altar.

Looking back, the organ was hiding in the shadows.
If there was a high pulpit, I never found it!

This statue of Maria and child is one of the main objects of worship.
It's made of linden wood and is from the 15th century.

I especially liked what struck my eye...the Wallfahrts Opfer = Pilgrimage Offering.
What I liked is that the design is painted on (center-right).

The cemetery bade us farewell as we left.

5.  The Parish Church of Maria Himmelfahrt, Holzgau, Austria

It's history dates back to 1401 but the present look was started in 1709.
The village of Holzgau has ca. 412 people.

For a village that small, look at this nave!

Towards the altar and backwards to the church entrance...

the organ and the pulpit...

and what struck my eye.

See what I mean about five different churches and why we visit them?
Do they surprise me because I grew up in a preacher's home and went to church "all the time?"
Maybe because our church was Baptist and not Roman Catholic?
Or maybe I always try to see them through organist Mom and preacher Dad's eyes,
wondering what in the world they'd be thinking?!


8 comments:

  1. I knew you would like the churches in Austria. When I was on skiing vacation, I always visited the church, they are so overwhelming. You wonder why you like them, I think I like them because growing up a Mennonite, a church only has benches, a wooden cross and an organ..... no decorations..... I think we both are catching up on the decorations here. A wonderful post again, amazing, the things we saw. IHVJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My church background wasn't as "drastic" as yours, Astrid, but both are similar in that we did NOT grow up with over-the-top opulence! I wonder how much of it was on the backs of the poor people?

      Delete
  2. I wonder how intense the colours in the churches were when they were first built. Those sacred spaces are inspiring. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, too, Marie, though I suppose they were similar to what we see nowadays? And yes, I do enjoy seeing the "sacred spaces."

      Delete
  3. The details you've captured blow me away! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. We didn't grow up with any of this, did we!!!

      Delete
  4. That third church, the one with pink marble, wow!! it made me come around to your way of thinking for a moment lol wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you grew up as a Roman Catholic, Elaine, you obviously see everything differently through your own experience, as opposed to what I see from the outside. I do have many questions about how all this happened...on the backs of probably poor and destitute parishioners. But you can see why I view these places as "museums."

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...