Saturday, January 18, 2020

Another Five Years!


Not that I ever worry about it, but it's actually a big deal when my renewal comes up for my staying/residence permit here in the Netherlands and it happens.  We both celebrate!

On December 5, 2019, I celebrated 10 years of residence here in Gorinchem where we live.  My first staying permit was for 1 year, followed by a 4-year permit and then my first 5-year permit.  It was time now for my 4th permit and, for the first time, to be picked up in Den Haag/The Hague.

Our appointment was for this past Wednesday, so off we went and made a nice, rainy, windy day of it.

Right outside our parking garage stood the Nieuwe Kerk, completed in 1656.
More on it later but I LOVE how Astrid does the research to find the perfect spot for parking.

Not knowing exactly how long it'd take to find our important destination,
we set off to find the government building and THEN stopped for a latte macchiato.
We were an hour early!

Being early meant we had time to get the lay of the land.
Right around the corner was Den Haag's Central Station (train).

Here you see it farther out, showing Den Haag's coat of arms, their city's official symbol.
Vrede en Recht = Peace and Justice.
Den Haag is the seat of government for the Netherlands 
and hosts the International Court of Justice.

Almost every skyscraper/building we saw that day was in the center of government activity,
all right there at our fingertips.

We could have spent hours observing every little thing.

See what I mean?

The Hague has traditionally been a city of storks, thus the stork on the coat of arms and as the logo of the community.  In the Middle Ages they were domesticated to remove fish remains at the fish market and nested on the buildings around the Binnenhof and in the area of the Groenmarkt and were seen as bringers of luck and prosperity.

  But I digress.
It was time for my appointment at the IND Loket (ticket window)
IND = Immigratie-en Naturalisatiedienst = Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Once my number was called, I was in and out by the actual time of my appointment, 11:30.

The coffee house and IND (behind and to the left) were both in this courtyard.

Remember when I said it was a windy day? YUP.

But back to the skyscrapers as we left the IND office.
The Ministry of Justice, Affairs and Security....

City Hall.

What a beautiful skyline!
[credit:  Wiki]

 If you squint, you can see Gemeente Den Haag = Municipality of The Hague.

Moving right along, as we head back to the car...

...we see the Nieuwe Kerk again.

This time we hoped it'd be open to visit before lunch.
But alack and alas, it wasn't.

However, at least the gate was open for us to walk around.

The Old Dutch words across the front = The Word of the Lord is Everlasting.
Notice the city's coat of arms again, with the lion and stork.

Now, let's celebrate!

This was Astrid's treat, so very happy for this permit being yet again a done-deal.
It should have been MY treat but she insisted...and I was in heaven.
(And yes, there were enough leftovers to take home!)

I realize it's strange to end such a day with this, but...
don't you just love how sometimes you don't need words to describe what you're trying to say!


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the residence permit!

    You two make every experience an adventure. You live your lives with fervour. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for life with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. Life is definitely an adventure and as long as we are able, we will try to make the most of it! :)

      Delete
  2. Another 5 years to go on this staying permit. Gefeliciteerd, congratulations. I always think it is special. And we make a special day of it. I just realized that the expiration day is around the 5th of December.... hmmmm...maybe a Christmas Markt to visit ;)...... IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making a special day of it makes it that much more special, Astrid, which I give credit to YOU. Thank you, over and over again, for being in this Journey with me.

      Delete
  3. I love how this "perfunctory" but very important process is smooth and easy, and that you get to focus on the beautiful and interesting details around you instead of any sort of bureaucratic nightmare. I suspect that in some countries, which are not to be named, the process would last long and involve onerous steps. Congratulations!! You have a wonderful life together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. It's the stories I have heard from others that make me careful not to take for granted what I have here. Not everyone sails through these milestones as easily, I know. So, yes, I feel so very privileged and lucky. We both breath a bit easier once this transaction takes place!

      Delete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...