Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Learning to Knit Socks


When the cat is gone, the mouse will play!

That means you first of all need to know that Astrid is in Maine for two weeks, helping sister Ruth and BIL Don with a house renovation project:  tearing out carpet in the big guest room, the upstairs hallway, downstairs entryway AND the stairs...and then painting everything.

How that came about and the project itself will be my next post.  I did NOT go with her (and, yes, the whole thing was my idea).  But that's another story.

When the cat is gone, the mouse will play!

And I did!  After many years of aspiring to knit socks (even if it killed me), I finally tackled doing it and, in 10 days, finished my first pair!  I did it all from watching 5 videos from the same person online.

I started the socks on Valentine's Day, the day before Astrid flew to Maine.
[Don't ask me why my right sweater cuff was not folded because I always fold my cuffs.]

As you notice, I chose to knit with a magic loop instead of 4 needles.


In this tutorial, you start at the top of the sock (not the toe) with the ribbing,
followed by the stockinette stitch for as many inches as you want the leg to be.
[I chose 8 inches this first pair but plan to do 6 inches next.]


The magic loop part of the video starts at 22 minutes
but the first part is important for how to make your size measurements.

Then comes the heel flap and the heel turn, which, believe it or not, was easy for me.


The heel flap gives the area against the shoe more padding for longer wear.
[This video is only of the heel flap.]

The heel turn in the next video includes the gusset,
which connects the heel back to the rest of the sock.


The gusset part of the sock was where I had to concentrate the most,
but it all made sense and was definitely doable.

Then it was the stockinette stitch again for the length of the foot to the toe.


The toe, like the ribbing and the stockinette leg and foot, was easy.


And then it was finishing the toe, tying it off...
as well as weaving in the beginning (top ribbing) and ending (toe) pieces of yarn.

For any of you who prefer knitting from a pattern, it's here, by Susan B. Anderson, and is called by her "How I Make My Socks."  All the videos are from "Meanwhile at the Castle," using Susan Anderson's pattern.

Voila!  And a collage to put it all together!

I'm posting this not only to show you what I've been up to while Astrid has been gone,
returning on Sunday, but for the record.  I do NOT want to lose these videos.
Trust me.  I am not a knitter (maybe a neck scarf as a teenager, if that counts?).  
So if I can do this, so can you (if you want to, that is)!

And so begins my 75th year, 2020, changing things up a bit to make sure I let go of things I no longer need (like negative energy, unrealistic expectations, etc.) so as to embrace those aspirations waiting in the wings.  Let's just say that, in a very positive way, #75 is making me sit up and take notice.  "DO IT NOW" is becoming my new mantra.  

Learning to knit socks.  Check!  :)


8 comments:

  1. What a great post! Beautiful socks and a reminder to live now! Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. The thing is, no one else can do it for us!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous socks! And brava! for learning something new! I am not a bit surprised that you would master a craft at first go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Ruth, even though there were difficult spots to get through and understand, since I'm not a knitter, it all fell into place, especially by the second sock. Now I want to get another couple pairs under my belt to really get the hang of it. HA! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I am so proud of you making these sock, Ginnie. I so love the yarn, the colours and the patterns are just amazing. This is just an invitation to knit more socks. Soon we will be both on the couch and knit. Good that you put the video's in, now you can always check them out if needed. IHVJ! SO proud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have found a knitting project that I can envision myself doing often, Astrid, I can indeed see us sitting on the couch, knitting together. It brings a smile to my face. :) And yes, I don't ever want to lose track of these videos!

      Delete
  4. You did great, Ginnie! The socks look awesome and it looks like you also did color stranding - that is really hard to do both, learning to knit socks AND color stranding. I prefer to knit socks top down - I also knitted a few toe up, but I don't like it that much. However, I'm not a big fan of the magic loop, I love my four or five double-point needles, maybe because I learned it that way. Every knitter has her preferred method I guess. Good work, I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did knit top down, Carola, and LOVED the magic loop but can't compare it to dpn needles since I've never tried them (and probably never will). However, I did NOT do color stranding!!! This was variegated sock wool that somehow is magically "calibrated" to make those stranded designs on its own. Don't you just love it!! BTW, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting here!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...