Thursday, November 26, 2020

November's Thanksgiving

 
It all started on November 2nd, the day before America's presidential election, when, while walking home from the grocery store, I saw this on the sidewalk:

It seemed so much like a good omen to me, that I went back the next day to take a photo of it,
wanting to believe all things for "out with the old and in with the new."
[But talk about a stressful time, which continues until January 20th!]

On that walk, I finally captured and then researched this fruit:  quince.
It is totally new to me, in the apple and pear family.

Even some of these are new to me but I just love November's color.
Mother Nature hangs on as long as she can, doesn't she.

Did I ever mention how much I love autumn!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Four days later, on November 7th, we drove back to the Mastbos forest in Breda, NL (see last post), 
hoping to see something different, because it's huge (1409 acres).

We were not disappointed.

For one thing, the mushrooms were still flourishing...

...though different from the first time.

You know I'm a Hart, right!  :)

But the joy of the day was this!
I had just said to Astrid that it'd be a thrill to actually see a horse, since we were on a horse trail.
I turned around to look back and VOILA.  There it was.

We literally stopped dead in our tracks to watch them come and pass right next to us.

We couldn't have picked a better day to see autumn at its peak.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

The very next day, Sunday, November 8th, son Jeroen came over
 for a spontaneous walk with Hailey (now 2) around our citadel wall.
Just what the doctor ordered!

The rest of the month we've been been "processing" the presidential election and the pandemic,
roller-coasting between the myriad emotions they separately evoke.
What a crazy year!

But today, we stop to give thanks and rejoice.  We're alive and well.  Safe and sound.
To my American family and friends, please stay the same!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING


12 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Ginnie. Looking back on the month of November and even the year, it has been a crazy time never knowing "what is next". I am thankful for everything we have, thankful for every day we have together, how crazy or how normal that might be. These wonderful pictures in this post show that we are thankful for where we live and thankful for what we still are able to do. I know you miss your family on this special day, but we are all in the same boat now with missing that one special day with family. I am sure that next year there will be some light on the horizon. There is always hope. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so convinced, Astrid, that being thankful is what makes us happy, which is why I'm so very glad we both say "thank you" not only every day but all day long! Thank you!

      The very strange thing about this particular Thanksgiving is that I do NOT feel the pain of separation from family that I have felt every year since living here. I can explain that ONLY because I know that THIS year everyone is feeling the same thing. We're all in the same boat! Though I don't like the reason, it does help.

      Delete
  2. I hope you had a good but quiet Thanksgiving dat.
    I enoy your log with beautiful images .
    Ga nu verder in Nederlands want ik weet niet goed hoe ik moet zeggen dat je collages van hoge kwaliteit zijn.
    Erge mooie herfstlog over jullie uitjes in het Mastbos en op de wallen met Hailey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt, dear Marjolein! These are the memories I hang onto each year because they fill up the senses. I feel so thankful to live and move in such a place!

      Delete
  3. I love the look of your autumn, Ginnie. Just gorgeous. Nature sustains us in trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Even better than your usual level of wonderful. I am thankful this year that my eyes are back, tho the season here has just turned very gray, and my new eyes are yearning for colors like yours. Whatever you all turkeyed on, we hope it was a happy time and that you remain safe from all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the horses, Ted, right??!! They always seem to add something special. And how wonderful that your eyes are finally "coming around." This is excellent news. Maybe we'll start seeing photos from you again, no matter how gray the days may be! I'm very glad to see we're all still alive and well. Say HI to Jane!

      Delete
  5. Ah so glorious, your autumn. Thank you for displaying your gratitude every hour of every day. I feel it in my bones about you. It is a blessing. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words humble me, Ruth. Thank you. You know how much I believe in gratitude as being the core/source of our happiness. I'd really hate to be caught up in the alternative!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful posting as FALL is my favorite too!

    I loved that you discovered quince. We had those on the farm growing up. My mom would make quince jelly. I was never been a big fan when I was little, but perhaps today I’d love to try it with some different types of cheeses!

    Just gorgeous!

    Now let’s think positive in your state of GA!!

    xo,

    Robin

    p.s. Can’t believe how much Hailey has grown!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who has memories of quince from America, Robin, gets a few extra Gold Stars, as far as I'm concerned. HA! I would love to try it one day, especially as a jam.

      And yes, I'm holding my breath for Georgia, hoping my vote will count once again. What a crazy election. What a crazy year!

      And, yes, too, about how much Hailey has grown. What a joy!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...