Thursday, March 18, 2021

Winter's Surprise Gift

 
Before she leaves (and Spring steals every waking moment), I want to make record of the surprise Gift of this winter that lingers, even as I speak:  the "Dregs" of Hydrangeas.

I didn't grow up with them and didn't even know what they were called when I moved to the Netherlands in 2009.  The Dutch call them hortensias.

To be honest, they don't do anything for me when in bloom, which explains why I have no photos of my own during their normal summer growth: 

[photo credit:  Daily Mercury/Google]

But once they start their transformation in autumn, I suddenly sit up and take notice.

And then this year came the late January rain, followed by snow in early February.

What made me pay more attention to them THIS year?  Was it the pandemic...
making us all pay more attention to everything around us (with nothing else to do)?

The week of snow was followed by a week in late February of unseasonably warm temps, 
up to the 60s F...

when with friends, just a 5-minute walk away, we grabbed the chance to sit outside in the sun.

And there from my chair, (thankful for the macro lens), I fell in love.






Will I pay more attention to the coming Spring and Summer growth, I wonder, now that I'm in love with Autumn and Winter?  

Yes.  I will.

But deep inside me I already know that it will always be the well-spent end-of-life stage that will forever enthrall me.  

Is it another reminder to fall in love with myself where I am in Life now as I know it?


11 comments:

  1. Wat een mooie vrolijke log is dit geworden over de 4 seizoenen en de hortensia's in al zijn stadia.
    Van de zomer toch ook gaan opletten op al die kleurenvariatie's. ;-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer I will definitely pay attention to all the color variations, Marjolein, and maybe will fall in love all over again! Bedankt.

      Delete
  2. It seems your hydrangeas decay more beautifully than ours. I will, however, watch them more closely thanks to your photos. There is no spring here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend we'll have below freezing temps again, Ted, so instead of "springing forward," we'll be going back to join you, I guess. But we have had some wonderful signs of Spring everywhere thus far. It WILL come, as we always know!

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how they row old with character, Ginnie. So different than when they bloom. What a wonderful tribute to this colourful flower in summer. I love the one with the snow hat. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, Astrid, I really have been taken by them this winter. Maybe I'll find a new interest in the fresh blossoms that will pop up a few months from now? Time will tell.

      Delete
  4. Excellent photos. You show us the beauty where many miss it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about them from Nancy back when she was married to Larry, and he was into all things horticultural. I fell in love with them then. I do love them in bloom, and just as much in winter. The delicate lace is delightful, as your photos show so beautifully. I love that blue collage with Astrid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun to know that Nancy and Larry introduced you to this beauty, Ruth. Lucky you. I am promising myself to pay better attention to the blooming season, to see if maybe I can fall in love with them then as well. I suspect I can and will! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful images…as always!

    I grew up with hydrangeas…and absolutely adored the colors. BUT, like you…they are absolutely stunning with age.

    Like us, ha!

    Thanks for your instagram note. Yes, very excited that I will (hopefully) be seeing my mama in a few weeks!

    Sending love,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...