Tuesday, April 12, 2022

My April Fool's Shoulder Break


As you know by now, most of these posts are For the Record, lest we forget the "small print" of exactly what happened, when and where.

It WAS April Fools Day, Friday, when after lunch at the couch, where we watch the news of the day, I got up way too fast, with something in each hand, and tripped over the footstool in front of me.  Not able to use my hands to break the fall, I landed flat on my left shoulder.

Long story short, the Dutch protocol is to go straight to your doctor (NOT to ER), where I got the go-ahead for immediate x-rays at the nearby hospital, followed by a consultation from the ER surgeon (all of which happened in just less than 2 hours).  Her prognosis:  I broke a piece of bone off my shoulder which was in turn crushed into pieces.  No surgery necessary.  Just a sling with minimal movement.  And an appointment to come back for new x-rays 10 days later and another surgeon's check-up, which was yesterday.


Bottom line:  I did NOT break my shoulder bone, after all, but the calcium deposit (red arrow) that sits on top of the tendon that moves the shoulder was crushed.  That calcium, which has been growing there for however long from another "accident" (??), was crushed into the tendon like sand, similar to a tendon tear (like in my right shoulder from 2019).  

The good news is that I did not BREAK the shoulder; the bad news is that it's probably worse, in that, like my right shoulder, may never completely heal, especially at my age, the surgeon said.  

HOWEVER, I don't need to use the sling anymore but need to move the arm as much as possible.  I start PT tomorrow and, according to the surgeon, all systems are GO for our scheduled 11 days in Iceland starting May 6th.

I am hugely optimistic that the healing will continue to happen quickly (haven't needed pain meds since last Thursday!).  I can already dress myself and do the main cooking I always do.  I'm actually quite amazed...and that's no Aprils Fools!
 

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your injury wasn’t more serious, Ginnie. PT will help! Iceland, YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. I really AM optimistic that the healing will happen even faster and more completely, perhaps, than my right shoulder. I assume my PT guy tomorrow will help us with that.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that we now know that all signs are on GREEN and that PT starts tomorrow. Knowing you, ;) , I know that you will put in all it takes to make it a good recovery and even with 95% recovery is a good result. You are my trooper and you know that you have my support IHVJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid, especially for all your support and love. You also are the trooper, having to put up with these shenanigans of mine! (sigh)

      Delete
  3. Oh no!!!

    Well I’m sending good “mending” thoughts and thank goodness your trip is still a GO!

    Big hugs!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you most kindly, Robin. I really am optimistic that I will heal well and quickly, maybe even more so than my right arm.

      Delete
  4. En zo fijn dat alle reisplannen door kunnen gaan.
    En veel sterkte bij de fysio, wordt vast "hard werken"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt, Marjolein. I'll be most eager to see what Chris says today at PT. I'm hoping for some good exercises to get started!

      Delete
  5. Yikes! So sorry to hear of your mishap, but what a beautiful photograph! My rotator cuff tear produced nothing so Classic. Good to hear from you know that you are like the Energizer bunny. Any plans to be in New England? Spring is just about to pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what x-rays can show, Ted, especially if you know how to read them. I found out from PT yesterday that the calcium is IN the tendon, however, and not on top. So the fall crushed the calcium into the tendon. The good news is that because the calcium is off to the side and not on top, the healing will be faster. GOOD.

      We DO plan to be in Maine for 2 week at the end of August and beginning of September...but only Maine, I'm afraid. And it may be our last time to make that trip, visiting family. It's all we can do these years now to just visit the kids in Atlanta, making sure our flights each way are non-stop. We're just getting "too old" to make these trips, especially when they necessitate stop-overs, like Maine. You can't fly directly from Amsterdam to Portland! (sigh)

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...