Thursday, June 22, 2017

CORNWALL 2017: The Looe Fishing Port


If all I did was visit the fishing ports all around Cornwall, England, for the rest of my life, I'd be one happy camper.  Seriously.

I really love Google maps, don't you?!
The coastal fishing port of Looe is 25 miles from our St. Austell homebase.
The population is ca. 5K.

When you pass a shop window like this from the parking lot to the coast, you know what's coming.

THIS.
Just pay attention to both sides of this bridge across the River Looe.
As you see, we arrived while the tide was still mostly in.

It was raining off-n-on the entire day, and we didn't care.
But once on this side of the bridge, it felt like a good stopping point for lunch.
Maybe it was the "DO NOT FEED THE SEAGULLS" that made us hungry?

Pauline says it was the BEST fish-n-chips she had ever eaten.  So fresh.
I'll take her word for it because it was, indeed, excellent.
It was also a delight to sit by the window and look out on the Looe world.

When we came out from the pub, this is what we saw.
Just give it an hour or two and look what happens to the tide!
We KNOW it in our heads...but to SEE it is another thing altogether.

Think about all that money spent on these boats!
I think I'd want a berthing dock for my investment, too, at low tide...every day.

See what I mean about wanting to see this the rest of my life?

We walked along the quay towards the sea where the river was still mostly full.
We were short of eyes...looking towards the sea and back towards the bridge.
Both sides of the river!
[BTW, did you know the Brits say towards and the Americans say toward?
So why does it sound normal for me to use the British English?  HA!]

THIS on our walk back to the bridge!

We then walked across the bridge (top) to the other side (bottom)....

and then back to where we began the day, but now at low tide.

To there and back again with myriad impressions.
It doesn't take much to fill our cups, as you know by now!


14 comments:

  1. What a stunning and delightful post! Each image and view is so fetching and gorgeous.

    Sounds like maybe you need to go there again some day?

    The fish and chips sounds amazing. Makes me want some now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was already in love with England, Ruth, but Cornwall is something else altogether. It reminds me of our New England states, which are so different from the rest of our own country.

      Would you actually allow yourself some fish-n-chips???? :D

      Delete
  2. C'est avec plaisir que l'on suit la balade en Corwall (Cornouailles en français) mais ce soir je n'ai pas le temps de chercher mes mots pour un commentaire en anglais. Il fait trop chaud. Merci Ginnie pour ce beau moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can ALWAYS write your comments in French, Marie, because I have the Bing translator nearby at all times. Hopefully your heatwave has broken, as has ours, with a bit of rain yesterday evening! Thanks, as always, for stopping by and commenting here.

      Delete
  3. Love the photos of the tidal difference. Incredible for sure. Such a pretty town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beached boats will never tire me out. I think it is one of the most fabulous things I ever witnessed. To me mind blowing. I never will see it in the Netherlands. Great pictures again despite the rain. The lunch was outstanding. The pictures show we had again a great day in Looe. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky to have you to share this with, Astrid...my Partner in Crime! With these posts we will never forget!

      Delete
  5. Oh heck, so many boats, so little time to run away from them hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE the haunting look of low tide with the boats. AMAZING. You know you've made me fall in love with Cornwall...and I hope there's still more posts to come! And those fish and chips. OMG....they look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you can make it to Cornwall one of these years, Robin. However, since I will probably never make it to the countries in the far east that you have visited, maybe we can just visit through each other's eyes?! I can live with that!

      Delete
  7. I bet there are plenty of charming accommodations along the coastline.

    ReplyDelete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...