Thursday, January 17, 2019

Gorinchem's Tolerantiepad (Tolerance Path)


To start off with, this post has been in the wings since...NOVEMBER.  So, priorities, or as we used to say, the "tyranny of the urgent!"

Over the years I've shown you many reasons why I LOVE LOVE LOVE this city where Astrid and I live here in the Netherlands:  Gorinchem.  Often we both still pinch ourselves, not wanting to live anywhere else on earth.

One reason is because of what this post is about:  TOLERANCE.

The Tolerance Path is a five-kilometer walking route across the rampart, with a hundred large 
portrait photos of Gorcumers that represent and express their feelings with respect and tolerance. 

The exhibition started on 24 November 2018 and is still hanging around our citadel wall,
which Astrid and I often love to walk.


The idea for the Tolerance Path comes from photographer Johannes van Camp's
Tree of Tolerance installation, which gives a cross-section of Gorcum inhabitants.

From all walks of life, young, old, depicted in black and white
 with a self-chosen flower in color that depicts their personal message about respect and tolerance.
Flowers sometimes say more than you can tell.

Several of the 100 photos were difficult to capture straight on.

But you still get the gist of the image.

Of the images I could get straight on, I put them together in collages,
just to give a feeling for the representation.











Plus the two stragglers that didn't fit into the collages!

If I counted right, I was able to capture 95 of the 100 photos.
Five of them were either bent over from the wind or at an angle I could not reach.
[After writing this post, I discovered that all photos are able to be viewed online here.]

Those of you who know the photographic technique of selective coloring
know that this is a manipulation of photography that I absolutely love.
So, OF COURSE, I love this exhibition, if for that alone.

But how can you not love any exhibition that calls us to
TOLERANCE FOR ALL.

YAY for Gorinchem! 


12 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it! Such inspiration! I love your city too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie. I wish I could take you for a walk here along our citadel wall!

      Delete
  2. You did an incredible job by taking all those pictures and make them in collages and this post...They are still there all around our citadel. Last week, in front of town hall they have a rainbow flag. We are lucky that we ended up in this city, there is always something to do. "Tolerance for all" which means in my mind "respect thy neighbour" (I know how hard that is sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you weren't too thrilled about this exhibition when it first went up, Astrid, but you know me...I HAD to document it. I found it quite inspiring, especially because the photographer chose select coloring as his format.

      Delete
  3. what a great post... tolerance... 'i tolerate you' haha, seems a bit of a strange word to go with pretty flowers :) but i know what you mean lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Method to the madness?! You know how much I love the selective coloring with the flowers!

      Delete
  4. It's like they created it for you, Boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing project and the photos are fantastic. I loved to look at all these different faces. Like you I like the technique the photographer used (and it reminds me that I should use it more often with some pictures). Will this be a permanent exhibition? You wrote that the images have been up since November. We should have something like this here, actually all over the country, especially right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind of you to comment on this, Carola. I really don't know how long this exhibition will be up. Good question. It's already been up longer than we expected. But it DID take a lot of work to gt it done, I know, so it would be a shame to get rid of it anytime soon!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...