Thursday, June 13, 2019

Il Violino Magico: Busker Riccardo Morsilli in Rome


My disclaimer for this post is that it happened while Astrid and I were on our Grand Tour of Italy in April.  However, because it was not technically part of the tour, I'm making a special post on its own...because, to be honest, it's my birthday.  :)

And because this was the most soulful "eternalized moment" of the entire trip for me!

You may remember that we had two days in Rome on the tour, first visiting "Classical Rome" and then, the second day, on our own away from the group to explore what we wanted. Since I had been to Rome twice before, I had a feel for what I wanted Astrid to see for her first time.

After standing in line for 45 minutes to visit St. Peter's Cathedral (for only 30 minutes inside), we went off towards the Castel SantÁngelo en route to Piazza Navona.

Those of you who've been to Rome will recognize the castle, from 123 AD.
(It was also in Angels and Demons, remember?)

Almost at mid-point in the above image, at the base of the castle, we saw him:

Riccardo Morsilli, from Il Violino Magico (Facebook page).

See the sign in his violin case (middle image)? It says (in both Italian and English):
"The secret of happiness is freedom; the secret of freedom is courage."


You can hear more on his Facebook page, of course, but he clearly knows how to play the violin!

So, why the stilettos (sometimes also red)!!

I had a back-n-forth with Riccardo once we returned home.
I can't say I know much more than that day in Rome, except that I did find out this:
He's a strong advocate against violence to women.

If we want to know anything more, he is simply willing to let us wonder.
And because of that mystery...with unanswered questions...he leaves us in tears.

I have seldom been more touched by anything,
which is why I gift this experience to me again, on this my birthday.
A second blessing....


9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, mijn lieve schat. Ricardo has an enormous talent and it was very special that we got to 'meet" him. I so like his pictures and I am glad we took time to stay and listen to him. This is one of the things we never will forget. IHVJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything you said, Astrid...indeed! I'm glad you were with me to see/hear him for yourself. Bedankt.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, Ginnie. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    I admire this man. I couldn’t wear those shoes if someone paid me. I wouldn’t be able to walk for days afterwards. He mustn’t have back problems. Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes, Marie. And yes, I admire Riccardo, too!

      Delete
  3. Very special that you received this gift back to yourself on your birthday. Nothing like a deep meaningful connection to show how grand life can be. Happy Birthday, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. "Meaningful" is a good word for the moment!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, again, sister... I can never wish you too much happiness.

    about his quote on freedom, i have another one

    Janis Joplin said 'Freedom's just another word for 'nothing left to lose''

    :)

    hope you are still having a good one over there!

    xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again, Elaine, for all your birthday wishes. I really have felt celebrated! And I really like Janis Joplin's quote, too. I suppose Riccardo feels the same way!

      Delete
  5. Dit is een test om te kijken of de settings goed zijn.... ik hoop het van harte.

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...