Thursday, August 15, 2019

Grand Tour of Italy: Montecassino


Whichever way you spell it, Monte Cassino or Montecassino (the spelling used on our tour), it's one in the same place:

It's "a rocky hill about 130 kilometres southeast of Rome, in the Latin Valley, Italy, 
3 kilometres to the west of the town of Cassino and 520 m altitude." [Wiki]
[map from Connoisseur Travel]

Montecassino is best known for its abbey, the first house of the Benedictine Order, circa 529.
This is what it looked like from the bus as we started the climb up the hill/mount from Cassino.

Upon disembarking from the bus, we were greeted by St. Benedict himself,
the very Benedict of Nursia who established the order.

Once inside the walls of the abbey, we entered the first of several courtyards...

where another statue, memorializing St. Benedict's death, welcomed us.

Nearby, doves were enjoying the peace.

From that courtyard, we entered the main courtyard that takes you to the actual abbey church.
(I'm standing on the steps that take you to the church, looking back over the courtyard.)

I won't begin to tell the history of this place, sacked, rebuilt, bombed and restored over the years.
But you get the picture when I say it was a German stronghold during WWII.

Next to that courtyard was another one I stepped into, just to see...

and later at home, discovered this abbey is full of courtyards!
By now you've seen the 3 across the bottom of this 3D Virtual Museum image.

Now we climb the steep stairs to the courtyard in front of the abbey church.

It was exactly what you'd expect for an abbey church!

Expansive.  Ornate.  Opulent.





Can you imagine being a monk in residence there?

And then there was the crypt below...

As I often say, everything means something, of course.
Everything has its own story.

There was yet another courtyard adjacent to the church...

which you can see better from this angle...the narrow courtyard to the right of the church, I believe.
That makes 5 courtyards we went through of the...10 or 11?
[Wiki image]

From there we went to the abbey museum, full of artifacts.





Again, everything tells a story.

As we left , we saw the valley below...

and Cassino itself, the city below the mount.

"The Abbey of Montecassino is one of the most famous abbeys on earth,
due in part to its rich history of destruction and recovery."  
[Viator, a TripAdvisor Company]

I'm so glad we got to see it with our own eyes!
All of that in 1.5 hours!


10 comments:

  1. You captured it beautifully, Ginnie.

    I don’t know any other people who get as much out of travelling as you two do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Marie. We do seem to pack a lot in, don't we. Maybe we will go to a place one day and just stay put for one or two weeks and not go off running around! HA! That'll be the day.

      Delete
  2. Oh my lord! There is so much beauty in Italy. I really love this post and this abbey. I think I better start saving my pennies for a DIY trip to Italy. I'll use these posts as map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tickle me, Maria. I can actually see you making your own DIY trip to Italy. Just do it!

      Delete
  3. wow!!! actually, the inside of the church reminds me of the movie 'Aliens' where the mother aliens sets up to have eggs.... i'm not sure why haha
    amaaazing pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what you're talking about, Elaine, but I'll take your word for it. HA! And thanks.

      Delete
  4. "one and a half hour".... it is almost mind blowing what we "saw" in that time. It is good that we took so many pictures to let it sink in what we saw in that time. The treasures in that Abbey are wonderful. You did a great job to make a wonderful post again. The view from the mountain was worth the trip too. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid. I couldn't agree more with what you have said about what we saw in such a short period of time. Most of the time it is AFTERWARDS, looking back at the pics, that I realize what we saw!

      Delete
  5. The art and craftsmanship in every nook and cranny is beyond imagination. I just can't get my head around it. What a setting too. Absolutely magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Ruth. We did NOT grow up with this, did we!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...