Thursday, August 01, 2019

Grand Tour of Italy: Siena


Do you feel like you're going around Robin Hood's barn yet?? HA!

We're back to Tuscany, where we've already seen Pisa, San Gimignano and Florence.
Today it's Siena, the afternoon of the day we saw San Gimignano.

There are so many impressions when you walk into any one of these cities.

I especially liked looking down the side streets as we walked towards city center.

But at the get-go, from afar, we saw what we were there for:  the Cathedral and Town Hall square.
In our under 3 hours (which included lunch), we were on a mission.

It so happens that the Town Hall on the Piazza del Campo came first.

It's hard to get fancier than that, as far as tall towers are concerned.

But the piazza itself was humongous and captivating.
We entered it from a street above, through a narrow archway (top-left).

It was a beautiful, sunny Saturday that April 6th.

Look at the Fonte Gaia ("Fountain of the World") off to one side of the piazza, built in 1419.

I wonder now if people are allowed to cool off in it on hot, summer days?

From the Piazza del Campo we made our way to Siena's cathedral.
I have no clue what we passed along the way...

but when I saw the Duomo/Cathedral, I knew why we were there.

It was consecrated in 1215.

The many faces of this cathedral...

with a Romulus and Remus statue to the left of the front entrance.

Now go inside!

I always start with the nave, both front and back...

and then up.

And down.

And then I look for the pulpit...this one made of Carrara marble,
sculpted by Nicola Pisano and others between 1265 and 1268.

I found two organs for Mom.

Everything has a name and is important, I'm sure.

One could spend hours, days, weeks inside and still not see everything.

Then there's the Piccolomini Library, adjoining the cathedral...

housing illuminated choir books and frescoes.
Talk about the cherry on top!

Did I mention that Siena's city center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1995?

Did I mention how very worthwhile this tour has been for us,
even if we only got snatches of every place we saw?!


12 comments:

  1. It sometimes was very overwhelming with what we saw. Everything was so beautiful and colourful and mind blowing. I know I keep repeating myself, however I like to thank you for all the hours that you put into these post. It is our memory that you make and I thank you for that. For me the highlight was the library with all the calligraphy. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These posts are for us, Astrid, as you know, so that we don't forget. All the photos would just sit in files, never to be seen again otherwise! Your appreciation is always valued, so THANK YOU.

      Delete
  2. That cathedral is quite something. I can imagine what the ordinary people of those early days felt when they went inside. It is greathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Marie. I have mixed feelings about all the work and expense put into these grand cathedrals at the expense of the ordinary citizens. But they are like museums, amazing all who visit them.

      Delete
  3. wow!! that cathedral is amaaazing!! artisans were crazy even back then! lol you can't say they had a short attention span tho!
    but, excuse me, in the picture beside the red car... is there a guy mooning you? lolol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing cathedral, indeed, Elaine. While we were in the piazza there was a group of students doing a pep rally, when several of the guys did the mooning thing. It was kinda fun. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I know, Maria. Short of words or no words at all. :)

      Delete
  5. The paintings in the cathedral and library are incredible! I'm especially captivated by the stripes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I Googled why the cathedral has the stripes, Ruth, and this is what I found: "In the interior the pictorial effect of the black and white marble stripes on the walls and columns strikes the eye. Black and white are the colors of the civic coat of arms of Siena." There you have it. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh what a beautiful city, the cathedral is even more beautiful inside than even its handsome exterior. The adjoining library is wonderful too. I would love to take this trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would LOVE this trip, Terra, if you don't mind going from one place to the other in rapid succession. HA! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...