Thursday, October 10, 2019

Austria Trip 2019: The Cows


I didn't realize it before this trip but I sure do now:  the cows are very much a part of the Austrian way of life...and landscape.  They deserve a post all on their own!

You can start with the view just outside of Ehrwald, our home base for the week.


As far as I'm concerned, this would have been more than enough.
Talk about the "sound of music!"

However, long before our trip, Astrid had specifically earmarked a day to drive to Au, near the western border of Austria, to watch the cows being brought down the alpine mountains for their winter pasture.  We were like little kids, full of excitement.

As you know, the journey is every bit as important as the destination.
THIS is Austria...chalets, flower boxes and trompe l'oeil.
Almost every building we saw had paintings on them.

We were driving into the alpine skiing area of Austria,
some of which reminded me of places I have seen in America...like Colorado?

Like I said, the journey really was as important as the destination.

I was particularly charmed by the overpasses and tunnels, covered with vegetation.
Many are there to keep avalanching snow from blocking the roadways.

How fun is that...flying off into the wild-blue yonder!

By the time we made it to Au, 104 km from Ehrwald, it was time to eat.
That was when everything was coming up cows!

That includes the cow-herder lederhosen at the bar,
which I made Astrid try out for size.  HA!

Now, then...the cows.
Unbeknownst to us, they had come down the mountain on the roads during the night,
not through the town, ringing their bells, as we had been told (as seen here).
[It was our only disappointment of the day.]

My guess is that it was a hard day's night!  Poor thing.

But lucky for us, we did get to see a roundup!




Maybe it made up for not seeing them come down the mountain like we had expected?

Actually, as we left to return home, we did see these stragglers.

Let's hear it for the cows!

As we drove back, we saw stragglers still waiting their turn, I guess?
Some of them looked like skin and bones, and we wondered why???

At one point, near Lech, we stopped to view this canyon.
In Austria!  Who knew?!

But it was scenes like this that totally made my day.
The hills really ARE alive with music...and with cows...in Austria!


8 comments:

  1. You sure have captured a way of life, Boots. Just wow! So stunning in every photo, and I feel like I can picture (and hear) what a day is like there. Thank you for sharing the details of these scenes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The many faces of Austria, Ruth...how can you pick just one! Thank you for appreciating what I have tried to share.

      Delete
  2. This is what I hoped for you to experience. Austria is unique and I love it with all the mountains and the music...and the cows and in winter, the snow. This post sums it up pretty much. "A day in Austria".... A wonderful post and I love the Vimeo, "three men and the cow". IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you planned this trip, Astrid, down to the details of even this day, in spite of the fact we didn't see what we expected. We saw other things and that was the gift we received...and appreciated. THANK YOU.

      Delete
  3. My memories of Austria include cows grazing in the valleys and we drove up mountains. So peaceful looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what time of the year you were in Austria, Marie? I suppose some cows never go up the mountain? But yes, so peaceful!

      Delete
  4. i was wondering about the skinny cows too! perhaps they just aren't fed hormones and antibiotics and bad food, to make them fat, like they do the cows in the west?
    i loved this cow post... it makes me wish i lived there :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right about the skinny cows, Elaine...and maybe in the mountains they really have to forage? I have really grown to love cows, now that I see them all the time here in the Netherlands.

      Delete

Visiting Philine in Bad Rothenfelde, Germany

  A day after daughter Amy flew back to Atlanta from visiting us the week before Easter (which I'll get to later), Astrid and I drove to...