Monday, April 20, 2020

A Springtime Citadel Walk: Part II


To be honest, I didn't know my next post, after the previous post from April 10, would be a Part II.  But after another walk on our citadel wall the other day, I can't resist.  Besides, it's the other half of the citadel wall, which I didn't cover then.

Instead of turning left at the entry point from our backdoor, I turned right.
Actually, the bottom-right image is looking left, where I didn't go this time.

Turning right takes you to our Nooit Volmaakt (Never Forget) windmill a block away.
It's where Astrid buys her flours for bread-making.

After passing it and going down to the canal, I looked back on it.
Did I ever mention how soulful windmills are to me!

With the windmill to my back, I turned right, passing all the barge houseboats.
The rapeseed at this time of the year frames almost everything we see.

After crossing a couple streets, I'm back on the citadel wall.
See?  It really is a citadel wall, surrounded by water.

Autumn has always been my favorite time of the year,
but because of COVID-19, this year SPRING feels more important than ever.

The pollarded trees in particular always intrigue me.
The branches are cut back every or every other year, all the way down to the trunk.
from which they magically grow back more strongly than ever.

He's man's best friend for a reason, of course,
but once he saw me watching him and calling him a beautiful dog, 
he wanted to play with ME.  We all had to contain ourselves.  HA!
Social distancing, you know.

De Hoop (The Hope) windmill, from 1764, is the other windmill within our citadel wall.
As long as a windmill follows the regulations to keep it registered in the Dutch database,
it receives government subsidies to keep up its maintenance.
Spring cleaning!

On our Shutterchance photoblog today I said this is an Astrid image:  "Man at Work."
Since she wasn't with me that day, I took it for her.

All the land around it is great for dog-walking and...relaxing.
The garden allotments (center-right) are actually from just before the windmill.

Right after the windmill is the Dalem Poort through which you access the bridge,
taking you out into the meadows alongside the Merwede river.

It's time now to cross the locks, behind me, of the inner harbor,
allowing boats to come in from the Merwede river...

...before heading into town, halfway around the citadel.  I see that we are still meeting each other,
but trying to keep distance.  You always know who the couples/families are.
(Btw, that's our ice cream shop (bottom-right) still open.)

However, just so you know it's not THAT perfect, there are almost daily stories of the police fining
 those who are congregating without any distance between them, at €390 per person per pop.
I hate to say it but they're mostly teenagers or young adults.
Hopefully, as the word gets out, those stories will become non-existent. 

In the meantime, yes, we are thankful we can still take our walks.
Our citadel has never looked more beautiful to me in all my 10+ years here!


16 comments:

  1. Our citadel is as beautiful as it gets, Ginnie. Most of the times we might be just gone on vacation and just those two weeks might make the difference. We are lucky to live in city center and surrounded by all the lush green trees and the flowers and the river. Gorinchem is truly our home. What a wonderful pictures you took. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one time when we're pinching ourselves more than ever, Astrid. I'm so glad we're able to still go out and get some exercise!

      Delete
  2. It looks as if you are having spring. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are remaining Covid-free.

    t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is popping up everywhere, Ted, but now we're short of rain. It's been predicted but then doesn't come. In the meantime, we are staying safe. My doctor doesn't allow me to do any of the shopping, because of my polio. He says I'm not more susceptible to getting the virus but if I get it, it will be harder on me. So Astrid does the shopping, bless her. When I go outside, I make sure no one is around me. I hope you, too, are staying safe.

      Delete
  3. Walks keep me going too. Your is over a particularly beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fun, Marie, if we could swap areas for a month, maybe, and walk in each other's neck of the woods! :)

      Delete
  4. Wat een mooi tochtje over de wallen.
    Leuk om met je mee te lopen en te genieten van al dat moois in de lente.
    Echte mooie Hollandse serie.
    (Op mvhpleintjeslog heb ik nu net ook koolzaad geplaatst.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we have both posted about the beautiful rapeseed, Marjolein. We're definitely on the same page! And one of these days we will SEE each other's "ramparts" with our own eyes!

      Delete
  5. So grateful that you, and we, can still get outside for walks. What would we do without this? Your photos and your walk are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. We NEED these times outside now more than ever. May we never take them for granted EVER again! (Not that we ever did, of course!)

      Delete
  6. Those first three images…I just want to bury myself in all of that! And that windmill!! SWOON.

    Just gorgeous!

    x o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Robin. Like you in your dessert, we have so much beauty surrounding us. Maybe now more than ever we understand the Gifts we need to sustain as we go forward!

      Delete
  7. It's me, B!
    Can't access your SC site, don't know why.
    Keep getting "503 Service Unavailable" whenever I reload your page.
    But luckily I remember your Blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so strange, LC. Four others thus far have come outside of SC. So I wonder what the "issue" is for YOU? Hmmm. Well, thanks for at least trying.

      Delete
  8. I loved your walk. There are so many pretty sights for you to photographs. I also loved your collage of flowers. And you say people get fined there? Well, here in Nashville, as in Atlanta also, they have opened the states and I don’t think they ever gave fines. They would have had to hire more policemen! as so many people don’t wear masks and are close together. That’s why I stay in the house … I am scared. I think there will be a resurgence of cases around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything we are seeing in the news, Vagabonde, it will be a long time before we no longer need to worry about COVID-19. I hate seeing the impatience right now in America, as though what happened with the 1918 flu epidemic has no meaning whatsoever. History, I'm afraid, is repeating itself, where the second wave of cases has the potential to kill many more than the first wave. We all SHOULD be scared. Actually, we all should be paying attention and following the restrictions indefinitely! Please stay safe.

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...