Saturday, April 04, 2020

Astrid's Sourdough Concoctions


It all starts with...the starter,

 ...which she brought back with her from Maine and now continues to feed.
(Remember that Astrid and BIL Don made several breads while Astrid was with them in February.)

This was the first bread she made after she came back, beginning to end (as shown on Facebook),
using the wholewheat, rye, corn, spelt mixture she had on hand for the bread machine.

Step by step, she first added the flour to the starter and then mixed it together.

Once mixed, this bread required resting, kneading, rising, resting, kneading, resting, etc.
It's a long process that Astrid actually loves.  She finds it therapeutic.

She first had to find a basket-type form on the internet, mailed to her,
which was used to mold the bread as it rose, giving it the ridges.

This was new to us both...the pastry paper, baking it in our dutch oven...
which was too big for our magnetron until she turned it upside down.

OMG! It was to die for, along with the pumpkin, smoked-salmon, broccoli soup that's a favorite!

That was the beginning, from which the bug bit hard and hasn't let up,
lucky for me!

Next, it was sourdough, wholewheat, banana-nut bread, which she has now made twice.
We eat half a slice each evening as a "dessert" with our evening chamomile tea.
(I put "dessert" in quotes because she does NOT add sugar to it.)

Then it was a sourdough, wholewheat, oatmeal, beer bread.
This was not a kneaded bread but fit into a loaf pan.
I like this bread toasted, while Astrid doesn't, which makes it flexible/personal.
Besides with soup, it's great for breakfast....

...and for a Dutch favorite:  uitsmijters!

And then, sourdough, wholewheat, oatmeal, raisin-nut muffins!
The recipe only makes 12, so we were stingy to make them last for 6 breakfasts.
Our freezer is small, otherwise we'd double the batch.
However, it's a winner and will be made over and over again, we both agree.

Lastly, just yesterday Astrid made this sourdough, wholewheat, buttermilk, cornbread,
the perfect complement to the spaghetti dish I made.
Hands down, it's the best cornbread I've ever eaten!  It, too, will be made again.

Please note that whenever a recipe calls for sugar, Astrid adds none (something we both agree to).
Also, if the recipe ever calls for all-purpose/white flour, she always uses wholewheat.

If you ask Astrid, she'll gladly admit she's addicted to finding new recipes and trying things out.
She'll also blame it all on Don and Ruth, for when she spent those two weeks with them in February.
She got the bug then and was bitten hard.  And I'm the lucky one!
(Am I repeating myself??!!)


12 comments:

  1. It all looks so good. My friend teaches classes In making sour dough bread. They are well attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never imagined there would be classes on this, Marie, but watching Astrid's excitement, that makes sense. She is constantly researching new ideas and how the starter works in different situations. I'm thrilled for her.

      Delete
  2. Looking at the pictures I can hardly imagine that is me "performing", Ginnie. I hardly call myself a "kitchen princess" but I always loved to do something special. As a child my mom taught me how to make "appeltaart" 3 parts flour, 2 parts butter and 1 part sugar. I loved playing with the dough back then. Now I am fascinated by the "starter" I do read a lot about it and pick out what I thinks works for me. There will be more breads in future, this is fun. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how fun it is to watch you doing this new "thing," Astrid. You really can do anything you put your mind to, which is the wonder of you for as long as I've known you. It's a sight to behold for me and I'm thrilled for you. Of course, knowing I get to eat your concoctions is the added cherry on top of it all. :)

      Delete
  3. What a multi-talented woman Astrid is! The bread looks delicious.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman of so many interests and skills!! We are so happy that she had this gift to take back with her after doing SO MUCH for us in those two weeks. (Every time I go up and down the stairs I breathe a "Thank you, Astrid.")

    Why did the Dutch oven fit upside down, but not the other way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder what more skills she has up her sleeves that even SHE doesn't know about, Ruth. You should see the new bird feeder she's making right now.

      The top of the dutch oven has a handle that fits in between the slats of the wire shelf upside down. So the pot itself became the cover. Upright, that handle made the pot too tall. When there's a will, there's a way. :)

      Delete
  5. Dat ziet er allemaal lekker uit
    Jammer dat jullie niet om de hoek wonen :-)
    Kon ik even testen hoe lekker het allemaal was !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, Marjolein. I wish in so many ways you lived right around the corner from us. We would share more than our bread! :)

      Delete
  6. Goodness I just wrote on your latest post that your walk made me feel like the Supplice de Tantale (the Torment of Tantalus?) this post is even more so. That bread and the others look so yummy. I thought I would try to bake some but I don’t have the starter. I have no bread left (have not had any for a week.) I received groceries on March 24 so now I am out of a lot. I try to make it last, for lunch I had 4 crackers with HP Sauce on them (English steak sauce) and cauliflower pickle. Your bread would have tasted so good! Astrid is quite a baker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish I could magically transport you some of Astrid's goodies at whim, Vagabonde. In my mind's eye I am doing it!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...