Monday, May 11, 2020

Socks Socks Socks and More Socks


Those of you following me on FaceBook have already seen what I've been up to since that first pair of socks I learned to knit back in mid-February, as shown here.  To say I've become addicted is my understatement of the 2020 year!

But now, I need a post that's "for the record," to keep an ongoing log of what I've done and for whom.  This will become my sock-knitting journal, to which I will add socks over time.

So, here we go:

1st Pair (for moi), finished Feb. 25, 2020
Opal Fairytale,#9792, Germany, 75% wool, 25% polyamide

2nd Pair (for moi), finished Mar. 12, 2020
Opal Freche Freunde, Germany, 75% wool, 25% polyamide

3rd Pair (for moi), finished Mar. 23, 2020
Scheepjes, NL, Our Tribe #974, 70% Merino wool, 30% polyamide

After this 3rd pair of socks, I went back to the store where I purchased the above Scheepjes yarn and bought a stash of 10 more Scheepjes designs at a discount of 30% (€6.25 each). Each skein, btw, makes one pair of socks, with some yarn left over.

How fun is that!

4th Pair (for Astrid), finished Mar. 30, 2020
Scheepjes, NL, Invicta Colour #971, 75% wool, 25% polyamide

5th Pair (for moi), finished Apr. 8, 2020
Scheepjes, NL, Our Tribe #966, 70% Merino wool, 30% polyamide

6th Pair (for moi), finished Apr. 15, 2020
Scheepjes, NL, Our Tribe #973, 70% Merino wool, 30% polyamide

7th Pair (for moi), finished Apr. 29, 2020
Scheepjes, NL, Our Tribe #961, 70% Merino wool, 30% polyamide

I should probably mention at this point that I'm getting rid of almost ALL my winter, thread-bare socks, which is why I'm making several of these pairs for moi, not only for daytime use but for bedtime as well!

After the 7th pair above, I was getting tired of the Scheepjes designs and needed a change. HA!
Several online searches later, I found a Dutch site I like, Hobby Giant, where I ordered 4 skeins:  

8th Pair (for Astrid), finished May 5, 2020
Flotte Socke Mississippi 1163 Rellana, Italy, 75% wool, 25% polyamide

At this point, I'm on a mission to knit socks for friends here and have just finished this one today:

9th Pair (for Femke), finished May 11, 2020
Opal Fairytale, Germany, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
(she chose the same wool as my very first pair)

I'm showing these last 2 pairs as pairs because I figured out how to match the designs,
which I will now try to do on all self-striping yarns going forward, whenever possible.
Notice also that I custom-make the length of the leg and ribbing, based on what they want.
Astrid always wants an 8" leg with a 2" rib; Femke wanted a 6" leg with a 1" rib.

To be continued as more socks are made...for the record....


20 comments:

  1. This looks like fun and I know this IS fun. I see you knit knit knit all the time and it is great to see the socks growing on the needles. No need to mention how proud I am of you that you figured this out by just watching YouTubes..... Now we will go to the shop in Apeldoorn and see what kind of goodies they have. I am so happy with the two pairs you knit for me (and I know there might be another pair if I behave ;) )
    It is great to have a journal to keep record. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! IF you behave, indeed. :D And thank you so much, for your support, Astrid. You always make me feel proud of what I'm accomplishing. But then, we're proud of each other. I really like that.

      Delete
  2. Geweldig wat een leuke en mooie sokken zijn dit allemaal geworden.
    Super om te zien.
    Wat een huisvlijt, goed hoor Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt, Marjolein. To be honest, I would love to make YOU a pair one day, so start thinking about what kind of design you want. We'll talk about that more soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work. Love the colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are on a roll here with these socks! All of them are just fabulous…but that first pair (colors and pattern) have my heart!

    Keep up the great work!
    Hugs,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Robin. That pair you like the most is what a male friend here calls Norwegian socks. I always get a kick out of that. :) Each and every yarn becomes a gift unfolding before my eyes, because I have no real idea what it will look like. So it's been a joy I never expected to have at this time in my life. Who knew?! Thank you for YOUR support. :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like Astrid gets all the fun ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I need to do something to keep her happy. HAHAHAHAHA!

      Delete
  6. Love love love. And I love the collages, which are so consistent and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Ruth. Your input is always so important to me. I have wondered if people roll their eyes at each collage and think, "oh, please, not again." But I actually do them for me to educate myself on what these different patterns/designs do at the major points: rib, heel flap and turn, gusset and toe. I also want to remember, kinda like with your quilts? Bless you.

      Delete
  7. Always comes in handy in winter. Love to keep my feet warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Haddock, for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  8. I am in awe – you are so talented. I love them all; my favorite is the 5th one I think, in the purple hues. Here already it’s going to be 90 F (32.2 C) so if I ever knit some they would have to be in cotton. My last knitting projects were for baby blankets, and those were easy, I don’t think I could knit socks. I do wear socks at night as my feet are always cold, but I wear my late husband’s old socks …nothing as fancy or as elegant as what your fingers create: real beautiful handicraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Vagabonde! That 5th pair is also one of my favorites, so we're on the same page. I actually do now have some yarn that is about 50% cotton, along with some wool. I'm looking forward to knitting it to see how I like it. One skein will be for daughter Amy in Atlanta. And yes, I still wear socks at night most of the year. Sounds like your wearing Jim's socks is the perfect solution for you. :)

      Delete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...