Sunday, January 17, 2021

A Frosty Drive in Ottoland, NL

 
It was a week ago Saturday, January 9th, when Astrid and I awakened to a frosty winterland and decided we NEEDED to get out for a wee drive.  Our parched and aching souls needed a "fix" after the DC Capitol insurrection in America 3 days earlier.  When Astrid suggested Ottoland, I said "YES!"  It's only 13 km from home.

And it's known for its sheep.  I wanted me some sheep!

After driving through the wee village, we stopped at one of the first fields by a canal.
We're talking about only freezing point (32°F/0°C), so the thin ice surprised us.

But the calming effect was magical...

even though the icy soul of America's nation was gripping us both.

What was Mother Nature trying to say?

Would there be a peaceful transition of power?

Or would some still be tilting at windmills?

We found the sheep and asked them.  This is what they said:

"Sheep sheep are adorable.
Human sheep, not so much.
Think for yourself, for flock's sake."
--Scott Stabile

DUH!

And then I found this from J.R.R. Tolkien:
"Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate."

And that gives me hope,
before our new USA President is inaugurated this coming week.

May God have mercy!



14 comments:

  1. Wow. What a post! The photos, questions, context, quotes, and the hope. This is perfect. So you needed the sheep to fill the human. That little trip filled your souls, and here you are sharing it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Ruth. It was exactly what the doctor ordered!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wat heb jij een prachtige reeks van collages gemaakt.
    Zo mooi, de ene is nog mooier dan de ander.
    Echt genieten bij je.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hartstikke bedankt, Marjolein. You always say the nicest things...especially in Dutch! :)

      Delete
    2. Leer je ook Nederlands, ik ben juf en blijf juf ��

      Delete
    3. My mother also was a teacher...an ENGLISH teacher, Marjolein, so I grew up with such as like you! :)

      Delete
  3. Just what you needed, time in nature. Thank you for sharing, Ginnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh…love the icy images…
    I so understand…I escape by going deep into the desert.
    Now to get past the 100 pardons…
    Very excited about Wednesday and what is planned for the day.
    Hugs to you both!

    Robin
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you understand, Robin, and I thank you. Thank you also for putting me onto Hubbell and then from him onto Heather Richardson, both of whom have helped me navigate these last days and weeks. Let's hope that soon everything will start looking up!!! God have mercy!

      Delete
  5. Seeing the beauty we live so close by to, is such a present each time, Ginnie. Beautiful pictures and collages showing the frost, a thing that fascinates me to no end. I do hope there will be a peaceful transition as peaceful as your pictures, Ginnie. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you so much that you are in this with me, Astrid, feeling with me all the aches and pains of these last 4 years. It's high-time for us to have a reprieve!

      Delete
  6. Short drives are therapeutic, especially when nature is the destination. That shameful act in the Capital was really hurtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the therapeutic value of these short drives...as well as the walks right outside our backdoor. God forbid that such a Capitol riot ever happens again!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...