Thursday, December 31, 2020

Socks Socks Socks and More Socks (cont'd)


On this very last day of a crazy year...here's the rest of the socks I've made since the 27th pair for Sister Ruth in my last sock post (October 9th):

28th Pair (for Astrid), finished October 19, 2020
Flotte Socke, Rellana #1008, Germany, 41% cotton, 39% wool, 13% polyamide, 7% polyester
[It's one of my favorite yarns to work with!]

29th Pair (for Dicky), finished October 26, 2020
Scheepjes, Invicta Colour, NL, #970, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
[Neighbor Dicky, who waters our plants and collects our mail on vacation, loved her first pair.
"You can't walk on one leg" (my favorite Dutch idiom), so she got another pair.]

30th Pair (for moi), finished November 4, 2020
Flotte Socke, Rellana, #1422, Germany, 70% polyacrylic, 23% viscose wool, 7% polyester
[Believe it or not, there's not a gram of wool in this yarn and is another favorite of mine.
The bamboo in the viscose wool supposedly has an antibacterial and deodorizing effect.]

31th Pair (for Susan), finished November 12, 2020
Flotte Socke, Rellana, #1540, Germany, 50% wool, 25% viscose wool, 25% polyamide
[Susan is our travel agent, working with us this crazy year to cancel, postpone or reschedule
our 3 major trips (Croatia, England, America) because of the coronavirus pandemic.
  All gratis means she deserved a pair for all her efforts!]

32nd Pair (for Riet), finished November 19, 2020
Scheepjes, Invicta Colour, NL, #973, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
[Riet is the Mother Hen of our senior-living complex here where we live,
always cooking and helping anyone and everyone.  She loves the socks for bedtime!]

33rd Pair (for Astrid), finished November 29, 2020
Schachenmayr Regia, Germany, #03760, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
[To be honest, Astrid loves any yarn that has red in it!]

34th Pair (for Riet), finished December 6, 2020
Scheepjes, Our Tribe, NL, #968, 70% Merino wool, 30% polyamide
[Remember "You can't walk on one leg?"  Yup.  Now Riet, too, has two pairs.
And that ended my stash of 11 Scheepjes yarns having no mind of their own for matching!]

35th Pair (for Ary), finished December 13, 2020
Opal Adventure, Germany, #9825, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
[Ary is the male version of our Mother-Hen Riet, always helping out whenever/wherever he can.
He was the one who called my very first pair, back in February, "Norwegian socks." 
They don't carry that design anymore, but this comes pretty close, and he loves them.]

36th Pair (for Jessica), finished December 21, 2020
Schachenmayr Regia, Germany, #09094, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
[The minute I saw this Girly-Girl yarn, I grabbed it, not knowing who would receive it.
It didn't take long to choose the granddaughter of Mother-Hen Riet, who is age 20, the same age 
as my grandson Nicholas!  And yes, she modeled them for me when she opened them Christmas day.]

37th Pair (for Karin), finished December 29, 2020
Schachenmayr Regia, Germany, #09135, 75% wool, 25% polyamide
[This was another yarn I grabbed because of the black, not knowing who would receive it.
Like with Jessica, it didn't take long to choose Karin, Astrid's cousin, who wears a lot of black.
And to think I met her for the first time a month ago!]

As I said on Facebook today, who knew back in mid-February that I would become 
a maniacal sock-knitter!  HA!  It helped, of course to have a crazy stay-at-home year.
But, yes, I'm hooked, staying at home or not.  As we speak, I'm on my 38th pair....

As we say, "enough already," and on to a New Year, believing in nowhere to go but UP.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


18 comments:

  1. Wat een geweldige reeks sokken weer heb je gefabriceerd.
    Die laatste roze zijn prachtig.
    Jullie ook een hele fijne jaarwisseling en hopelijk zien we elkaar in 2021 in levende lijve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The socks have given me lots of unexpected pleasure and happiness this year, Marjolein. So glad others like you have been able to enjoy them with me! Hartstikke bedankt. And YES, we DO expect to meet up with you this new year and are looking forward to it!!!

      Delete
  2. All these socks are little adventures and surprises as they "grow", Ginnie. It is fun to watch how they get from yarn to the actual socks. Many happy people were the "Ginnie-Socks"....Jessica is one of them
    Have a Happy New Year with "adventures" like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Little adventures and surprises" is the perfect way to describe this new-found enterprise, Astrid. Thank you. And the thing is, I don't expect to stop any time soon. HA!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Sock-it to ‘em.
    and a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, Ted. Good one...and leave it to you. Happy New Year to you and Jane...and family. Things already feel like they're looking up!

      Delete
    2. Five more days and we will know if things are looking up or if Mitch will still run the show. I hope you were able to make something out of New Year’s Eve. We had a zoom new year with the six of the 8 friends who we have been lobstering with for years. Jane was going to make lobsters, as we always do on new year, but when I offered pizza she decided she didn’t need to cook. As my father is fond of saying inthe war letters I’m working on, “It was swell.”

      Happy New Year!!!

      Delete
    3. As I've already said to Astrid, this coming week will be one big doozy, not only with the run-off election but with what happens in Congress on January 6th with the ceremonial counting of votes. I will be so glad when it's all "over" on January 20th. In the meantime, we're all rich if we have options...between lobster and pizza!!! :)

      Delete
  4. I love them all! By the way, how do YOU wash yours?

    Today feels lighter. We've had gray days, and today is sunny. Sometimes just a change of perspective makes all the difference. Happy New Year to you and Astrid! I sincerely hope we'll see you later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. All these socks are allowed in the washing machine up to 40°C/104°F, but no dryer. They really wash beautifully!

      And yes, just a change of perspective can make all the difference in the world...as I'm sure we'll see soon, after January 20th! I'm confident, also, that we'll be back in America come October, God willing and the creek don't rise.

      Delete
  5. Net wat ik nodig heb Ginnie

    een gezond en voorspoedig nieuwjaar gewenst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Well, I could make you a pair, Willy, if you tell me what colors/pattern you like! :) And bedankt. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. You are on your 38th pair of sock? Goodness that’s not a hobby, that’s a little industry. Just reading about all your handy work I am exhausted and have to take a rest for you … They are all so lovely. I used to knit and crochet (did 13 baby blankets when the grandkids were little) and now would like to try to learn how to make socks but I need to wait until the GA house is sold – and that may take another couple of years at my speed. You also mentioned that Nicholas is 20 years old – I read that and stopped reading - time has really gone by. I remember meeting him and he was a little kid, so sweet too. I would not know him now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Vagabonde, it could be a little industry. HA! The main problem, of course, is that I'm not in America, where I could custom-make socks for people and get them mailed in a timely fashion. Too difficult to do from the Netherlands, I'm afraid! So far I've been knitting everything for free for friends/family. Soon I will be knitting socks for anyone who supplies the yarn. That's all. YOU buy the yarn and I'll knit a pair for you, in other words.

      I can imagine that you have had your own share of knitting or crocheting over the years. I can picture you doing that. :)

      And, YES. You wouldn't recognize Nicholas today!

      Delete
  7. You are just so talented. And I must say I have such sock envy. I am serious when I saw open an Etsy shop so I can order them. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, dear Donna. Your support means a lot to me. To be honest, if I lived in America, I would seriously consider opening an Etsy shop. But by living overseas, I can't imagine the added cost of shipping. But I do love the idea. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. All of them look so colourful. Of late I too sleep with a pair of socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun to have you stop by to comment here, Haddock. Thank you.

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...