Thursday, September 29, 2005

Omnium-gatherum

n : a miscellaneous collection (as of things or persons).

I was thinking about this yesterday while in flight from Paris to New York's JFK airport: the "collection" of cultures on these over-the-ocean flights is like a microcosmic snapshot of our world at large.

The accents, the languages, the clothes, the hairstyles, the eyes, the smells (as in perfume and/or body odor!).... These are often the "little things" that make me thrill to be alive. To be a part of something much bigger than me-myself-and-I.

My suitcase never made it onto the plane, I found out later! But already being caught up in omnium-gatherum, it totally paled in significance. It'll come this evening soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...