Monday, September 05, 2005

Our Broken Levees

I'm guessing thousands of sermons around the world were preached yesterday about the Katrina hurricane and breached levees in New Orleans. I'm sure as many made reference to our own personal broken hearts whose levees often hold on only by a thread.

One of my own levees broke this holiday weekend over the news of an attempted suicide by someone I hold dear. It's not my own broken heart that needs repair but his as well and all who know him. Life just doesn't go on as normal after such a hurricane. In fact, new life can hardly be imagined following that kind of devastation.

Even now as I cry, will it take weeks, months, years before there are glimmers of hope? We know he/we will never be the same. Can we hope we will all be better?

3 comments:

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...