Monday, February 14, 2005

"Look at the Light. Look, look."

After its conception 26 years ago by Christo and Jeanne-Claude, the 7,500 Gates were indeed unfurled yesterday in all their shimmering glory in Central Park: "more than 1 million square feet of vinyl and 5,300 tons of steel, arrayed along 23 miles of footpaths throughout the park at a cost (borne exclusively by the artists) of $20 million. "

Some are conflicted about this seemingly extravagant expenditure of money that could have been used in "more humanitarian" ways in NY City. Ah, yes. Always and forever the mystery of art midst decay, beauty from the ashes, light in the darkness. There's no answer, of course. God is just that way, always saying "Let there be light" when we least expect (or want?) it. And being extravagant when the poor are always with us.

16 days of Light, after which we'll say "Once upon a time there were The Gates." The time is now. Let's enjoy it while we have it.

3 comments:

  1. I woke up this morning thinking that instead of Christo saying "Look at the light. Look, look!" he could have said "Look at the Gates." Can you tell that this art has blown my Soul away! (Oh, really, Ginnie?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too, I just love it.

    Did you know Christo covered my beloved Pont Neuf bridge in Paris back in 1985?

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed, Ruth. In fact, I mentioned that in my previous post on The Gates. This whole thing has been so incredible to me!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...