Tuesday, March 28, 2023

ROKR Wooden Mechanical Zodiac Clock


You might remember that back in 2018 and 2019 Astrid and I both had a heyday making fun ROKR projects that were totally up our alley...for BOTH of us:  the pendulum clock for me, and the locomotive and tractor for Astrid.  Those three projects display themselves beautifully in our china cabinet:

Who knew they would make our hearts sing, right?!

Four years later, guess who got the itch again!

I wasn't particularly going for anything in particular.  I just wanted to MAKE something.  It's a longer story than this (involving a knock-off from China that totally disgusted me and was returned for a refund), but when I saw ROKR's Zodiac Clock, I knew I had hit the jackpot.  It helps, of course, that I've been making astrological natal charts for 30+ years, so this was up my alley!

And I made it in 3 days in the first week after my cataract surgery!

I almost always wear gloves at home during the cold months (bad blood circulation)...

but decided to take them off (after the fact) for you.  HA!

The reason I'm showing the instruction manual (18 pages) is simple:
it's a methodical, step-by-step construction that has an order to it,
with both text and diagrams to guide you...

as opposed to the single sheet of one-inch photo-steps without written instructions
from the knock-off I first purchased.

In my defense, the knock-off was a false advertisement that I didn't catch
till after the fact but which PayPal came to the plate to refund for me...after repeated tries
to get the purchase made right by the Chinese distributor, without success.
(A word to the wise!!)

And THAT'S why I went back to my tried-n-true ROKR, knowing I would not be disappointed!

The Zodiac Clock hangs on the wall next to where I am typing,
as we speak.  It's also next to where I work up natal charts for family and friends.

Am I a Happy Camper, or what! 
Wait till my new glasses come (from Sweden!) and that's another story altogether.

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you found something from ROKR that is "so you", the details are amazing and the colours and everything about it is "the real thing". Watching you putting it together was a great joy after the disappointment of that knock-off...... Now the Zodiac clock hangs on the wall and is a joy to the eye. IHVJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went through it all with me, Astrid, for which I bless you. What a fiasco! But, all's well that ends well, and I really AM a Happy Camper. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Waaauw...wat zijn jullie toch ijverige en zeer handige bijtjes.
    Topwerk en dat vlak na de operatie
    Geweldig werk verzet met heel veel geduld !!
    Leuk om mee te kijken en te bewonderen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Marjolein! I love that you always know exactly what to say in your comments. :)

      Delete
  3. Trouwens wat een mooie kast met al die "schatten"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hartstikke bedankt, Marjolein. There actually ARE some real treasures in there, for sure.

      Delete
  4. You take beautiful photos, your knit intricate designs, you cook, and do so many other things, and you make clocks – you are a pearl. You are quite talented, friend. I have never seen an astrological clock and I am an antique clock collector – in Georgia I have at least 28 to 32 antique clocks (that I am not sure whether to move to Nashville) but no astrological clock, and I also would not know how to make up an astrological natal chart – just know my sign is Aries and I am a dragon in the Chinese horoscope, that’s about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, bless you, Vagabonde! I don't get notice anymore of comments received so missed this one from you. I have loved my astrology studies since 1990 and find this clock to be the perfect, tangible memento of it.

      Delete
  5. Wow that is quite a clock...and better you than me to try and assemble it. My head hurt looking at the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, Donna, and thank you for commenting.. You have your expertise in/with your garden and I have mine with projects like this. I love that we all have our own niche, where we can find our bliss!

      Delete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...