Monday, February 01, 2016

Watercolor Sunday and Saturday's Color: January 2016


With only 12 months in a year, when one drops off the calendar, it sure makes the year seem short.  Man alive!  How did that happen!

Here are the Watercolor Sundays in January from my Facebook page (another month of 5 weekends):

January 3 (photo manipulation):

"For a new year to bring you something new, make a move, like a butterfly tearing its cocoon!
Make a move!  Mehmet Murat Ildan


January 10 (photo manipulation):

"A wounded deer leaps the highest." ― Emily Dickinson


January 17 (photo manipulation):

"It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water."
― Franklin P. Jones

[As an FYI, we still have no snow/ice here in Gorinchem, NL, but we plan to go ice skating
tomorrow night at a nearby ice rink in Dordrecht.]


January 24 (photo manipulation):

"I once said cynically of a politician, "He'll double-cross that bridge when he comes to it."
― Oscar Levant (American Actor, Pianist and composer, 1906-1972)

[We do NOT have snow here in Gorinchem, NL, but I'm thinking of all you who do,
especially in NE America.  Be safe.]


January 31 (photo manipulation):

"Snowmen fall from Heaven one flake at a time."  unknown
"Some of my best friends are flakes."  unknown

 ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

These are January's posts for my Saturday's Color meme:


(finished on 31 December 2015, posted on FB 2 January 2016)
This design didn't turn out exactly as I expected but...it's still an owl, reminding me of WISDOM,
which brings to mind the following quote for 2016:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisom to know the difference."  Reinhold Niebuhr


(finished on 6 August 2003, posted on FB 9 January 2016)
If you're a Good Luck kind of person, here's a Celt mandala horseshoe for your 2016.


(finished on 13 January 2016, posted on FB 16 January 2016)
So, finally, out of curiosity, I tried colored pencils on a 5x7 design from my wee Mindfulness coloring book.  The short version is 1) I prefer the more vivid colors of felt pens and 2) the pressure I had to use to make the colors appear almost blew out my hand/arm.  Maybe I'd change my mind if that's all I had but since I am more at ease with the gentle flow of the felt pens, I will stick with them...which is NOT to discourage anyone else who loves pencils!


(finished on 8 February 2004, posted on FB 23 January 2016)
For those of you who know that we're in Mercury Retrograde right now (till the 25th), you'll understand why sometimes "less is more."  I'm not referring to snow, of course.  :)


(finished on 9 January 2016, posted on FB 30 January 2016)
With America's upcoming Presidential primaries and caucuses, I have imagined what we'd look like if we coexisted peacefully (red = Republicans; blue = Democrats; white = Independents; pink/purple = Undecideds).
Now, if only I could find a donkey to color!



10 comments:

  1. So creative! Your work, on all levels is beautiful.

    Every time I see NL, I think of my home province of Newfoundland and Labrador, also written as NL. The latter should have Canada with it as well of course. When it doesn't, the mail goes to the Netherlands first and eventually returns to the other NL. The province should have opted for a different abbreviation I think but it's done now.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, Marie. I never thought about the confusion of that NL when it comes to your Canadian province. Talk about going around Robin Hood's barn. HA!

      You're so kind to keep coming back here to see what I'm doing. Please know that it thrills me to no end. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. When I read the quotes with your images, I realize that it's amazing how these pieces and photos you create span so many topics. It is very fun. I love the elephant, must be because I love red and blue (and purple). I also LOVE your pencil pattern, even though it hurt your hand and you don't prefer it. Maybe it's because I am designing a quilt for baby boy similar to the one I made his sister, which is wide strips of fabric. It is way too much fun to see quilt patterns in your coloring pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember, Ruth, that back in my high-school days I took great inspiration from finding beautiful photography in magazines/calendars, saving the images and finding quotes to go with them! What I am doing today has deep-seated roots from a time when the Internet was a figment of someone's imagination.

      I do love how inter-connected we are in our separate art forms!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I really love all the color combinations you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind of you, Maria. It's a challenge, each and every time, but I love it. :)

      Delete
  4. You know that elephant is my fave...enjoy them all! Time just flies...gotta make the most of each and every day! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you are in Cambodia again...which makes me realize just how quickly time IS flying! WOW! Stay safe. Can hardly wait to see what you show-n-tell again.

      Delete
  5. Very nice, especially the first! Any interest in that pen I told you about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ted. I haven't pursued that pen yet but haven't given up on it. It's the kind of thing I would buy online and send to my stateside address (for cheaper), which would mean picking it up in October. Which is to say...I still have time to think about it. HA! I just wish I could see it in action!

      Delete

Den Bosch, NL, With Our New iPhone 15 Pro Maxes

  Believe it or not, it was a month ago that I posted about our new iPhone 15 Pro Maxes, the gifts Astrid and I received from Sander's ...