Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Happy Color Thanksgiving


After all those years of coloring in real live coloring books with myriad sets of real live felt pens, followed by three years of posting most of them on Facebook every Saturday under Saturday's Color (and here on this blog monthly)...did I mention that I now color digitally?

I do.

Happy Color is the free app I use on my iPad with up to 6 new designs every day to color.  No, I do not color all of them because not all of them interest me at all.  But I do find great therapeutic value in the myriad hours I have spent on this "hobby."

So today, I share with you a Happy Color Thanksgiving...with designs not only from this year but from last.  As a "disclaimer," please understand that all the colors in these designs are chosen for me.  All I do is color them...like a paint-by-number canvas, taking me back to my childhood.  The main difference is that you don't see ahead of time what the finished design will look like.  The surprise of finding out, I've decided, is the main thrill for me.

[A further explanation:  all Happy Color designs are square.  Many of them I have put into collages using square formats.]

So, with that, Happy Thanksgiving from Happy Color:

It makes sense, of course, to start at the very beginning, with the Indians and Pilgrims,
even if we know how so much of what happened back then is now politically incorrect.

[Speaking of Indians, I can't resist throwing this in for free.]

I could have sunk a ship with all the turkey designs available...

some of which I liked better than others.  But you get the point:
it's hard to think of Thanksgiving without turkey...

...or without pumpkin pie,
even if pecan pie is still my favorite.

The traditional American feast.  Can you see everything you grew up with?
Wait.  Where's the green-bean and/or sweet-potato casserole?

In the end, it's the feast...AND the family all being together to share it.
And being thankful, together, in spite of all our differences.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

As an FYI, today Astrid and I drive to Amsterdam to eat a traditional American Thanksgiving meal
(a first for us in my 10 years here), at the Hard Rock Café, one of the only places that serves the meal.
Beforehand, to make a day of it, we will visit the Banksy exhibition at the nearby Moco Museum. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
to all my family and friends.

In the end, as I said on Facebook,
"Happiness is a quality of the soul...not a function of one's material circumstances." --Aristotle


8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving color! I can't wait to hear about your day!

    Much love to you and Astrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to talk soon, Ruth, because I want to hear about your day, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Ginnie and I love your post, what a great design and they tell the whole story. I love it for you that you found the colouring-app. What joy that gave you.
    Today was a great day celebrating. A thing we will do it every year from now on. IHVJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid. You know how much I enjoy Happy Color, seeing what I do almost every day. I'd love to know more about the designers because some of the art I really like. But, yes, the meal at Hard Rock Cafe was just what the doctor ordered. I can picture us doing it every year we're free.

      Delete
  3. wow some of those turkey pictures are just beautiful!!
    when you colour digitally what is it? just using your finger?
    thanks for sharing, sis xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elaine, I use my finger. When you tap the number you're on, every place in the design that uses that color "lights up" and then you touch that spot to transfer the color. It's brilliant. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to both of you. Can you find a turkey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't see whole turkeys to buy like we do in America, Ted. You can find a turkey breast, perhaps, or a turkey roll, but a whole turkey, especially a big one, would cost a mint! Our turkey at Hard Rock Cafe appeared to be from a turkey roll, with slices cut. It was more than good enough for me. :)

      Delete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...