Monday, August 07, 2006

The "I Definitely Can Tell You" News



(Candles burning in the Rock Church, Helsinki, Finland)

Donica won't like my making this so public but she also knows that you who visit here have been genuinely mindful and prayerful of her. She knows you'll want the update.

First the good news: The pain in her lower right abdomen was diagnosed almost immediately today by a surgeon who has had specific experience with this for 20 years. He started by saying , "I can definitely tell you...." The ilioinguinal nerve on her right side was apparently cut/severed from the right port during her hysterectomy 7 years ago. The inner and outer abdominal muscles are now rubbing the "bulb" that grew from the cut, causing the pain.

The solution in 85% of all cases is a series of 3 steroid injections a week apart to deaden the nerve. If the pain is not gone by then, the nerve will be removed surgically. Donica received her first injection today.

The "bad" news: During testing last week, a radiologist discovered a "small, hyperdensive mass" on her left kidney for which she now has an appointment to see a urologist on Friday the 18th. Today's doctor said the kidney has nothing to do with the "good news" pain above. He also said that rarely is anything on the kidney benign, nor do they take a biopsy of the kidney in case there are cancerous cells that can spread. However, if they catch "this" early enough, they can cut it out and still leave her kidney. If it all comes to this, that is!

Needless to say, we're trying to be optimistic...that she's in the 85% when it come to that darn nerve, and that the kidney problem is in the early-enough stage to make for a quick and easy fix.

In the meantime, please light a candle and say a prayer for Donica. Thank you.

24 comments:

  1. Our good thoughts and positive energies are with you and everything will be just fine. :-)

    Get well soon, Donica. I know you will. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding my prayers for a full recovery from all for Donica. Keeping those good thoughts going her way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely hope she's in the better half of the stats... Get well soon! And after 2 or so days of not reading...

    ReplyDelete
  4. CS: Thank you! That's the way I'm looking at it as well.

    Dixie: Thanks!

    ET: I agree on the stats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be okay. Prayers for Donica and for you.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers and thoughts are with Donica and yourself during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. T1: Thanks, Kim, for your prayers. I, too, sense, that "it will be okay."

    Tim: Thanks to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts are with you both. Hope all goes well...take care
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously prayer for Donica-

    How can we pray for the rest of the family...you, her mom, etc.

    Luvs to you both

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don read that 25% of such kidney issues are benign, so I'm pulling for that. Love, candles, healing . . . all coming Donica's way.

    This means you WILL come this weekend, yes??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neil: You're a sweetheart!

    Mrs. M/Shari: For all of us, pray for Peace that passes all understanding! My own sense is that the right-side pain was brought on by the Universe so that the kidney issue would be found in its early stage and dealt with once and for all!

    Ruth: After talking to our personal doctor today, I found out more info: there are 2 "masses" that are solid (and therefore probably NOT cysts). Nor are they kidney stones. Our sense is that they need to cut it/them out and let her kidney go on functioning as normal, none the worse for the effort! Clearly we'll find out more next week when we see the Urologist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And YES, Ruth, I forgot to say--we definitely still plan to make our trip to MI this weekend! Yaaaay :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're planning to come!

    I thought the same thing, that the pain was to bring the other to D's attention!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The candles are litten in Norway too!
    Btw: Sorry I was late returning the favore of putten me on your bloggroll. Your on now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Ruth!

    Candles all over the world! I like that, Renny. Thank you. And thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I'm honored :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heal Donica!!! Avoid caffeine and artificial sweeteners- they are bad for the kidney. Take rest and listen to your body's needs. Give yourself love. We are loving you from without.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you everyone for your wishes, thoughts and prayers. They are all greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr. Fab: Thanks for your positive thoughts. So far, we've NOT been worried, thank God!

    Rachel: No worry about the artificial sweetners, since she doesn't like anything sweet in her coffee. But she DOES like her coffee, 2-3 cups only first thing in the morning. She probably does a better job listening to her body than I do and is good about resting. And lots of love is flowing all around, from work, home, and the blogging world! Thank you!

    Donica: You are clearly loved!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ginnie and Donica, I'm late with my wishes but just wanted to add prayers from this end for peace of mind and healing. Ginnie, I share your belief everything happens for a reason and am glad the nerve pain came to the forefront when it did and these masses will be treated earlier because of that. I know you're both in the best of hands already. Best to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your wishes are not late, Lisa, because the pain has come back after her first injection. But we expected that since the doctor says that for some reason it always takes 3. Donica is touched by all of you who are sending thoughts and prayers her way. So am I.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ginnie and Donica,

    I am sorry to hear of this turn of events. I am putting you and Donica in my thoughts and prayers.

    All best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Josie. That means a lot to Donica and me both!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first post I scrolled to was this one... Sending positive thoughts your way!!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...