Thursday, November 17, 2005

Pooh-Bah of the World?

An article in Reuters this week actually startled me: Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is "The Most Influential Man in the World," according to Esquire magazine. Esquire editor David Granger argued that Clinton was poised to become "something like a president of the world or at least a president of the world's non-governmental organizations." [my emphasis]

Minutes after I read the article, I read this word definition in my InBox:
pooh-bah n 1: a person holding many public or private offices *2: a person in high position or of great influence.

So, I started thinking about a Pooh-Bah of the World. Quite honestly, if I were to choose, it'd be Jimmy Carter, my hero. Aside from Clinton's personal debacles, he will go down in history as a great president. Carter's presidency may not have fared as well BUT he has years of post-presidency world altruism and philanthropy under his belt, more so than any other person ever. Perhaps Clinton has age/time on his side?

IF we had a world pooh-bah and IF you could choose only between Clinton and Carter, who would you choose? Now, open it up to anyone in the world and who would you choose (excluding yourself)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...