Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Homeward Bound


Christina and I had such a lovely rendezvous yesterday in Hannover's City Center. We really like each other and have committed to a rendezvous each trip I'm in Germany, as often as possible. Unbeknownst to me, we met on the 3rd Annual International Webloggers Day, June 14th. How appropriate!

Today I start another circuitous route back to Atlanta from Hannover, this time via Duesseldorf by train this morning, arriving at noon. I meet up with James and his partner, M, at my Inter-City Hotel next to the train station, and from there will walk into Old Town for lunch together. Another blogger rendezvous! I then plan to spend the afternoon and evening exploring Duesseldorf before I go to bed and wake up tomorrow for my early flight to Atlanta.

In the meantime, World Cup fever is everywhere in Germany! Yesterday, while I waited for Christina outside the Hannover train station, Tunesia and Saudi Arabia fans were heating things up. After a little fan rally, they walked into the train station for their ride to Munich for their 6p match. By now we know it was a 2-2 draw.




This is serious stuff, folks! And we're not even halfway through the tournament! Miles to go before we sleep. After the Tunisia-Saudi Arabia game, Germany beat Poland, 1-0.

Donica stays behind in Hannover, flying home next week. Her original ticket often gets changed for work but also gets paid by work! If I could have changed my ticket to coincide with hers, we'd be out almost $800 because of the World Cup shenaningans, instead of the typical $50-75 change-fee. Needless to say, we left things as they are!

Okay. See you soon from Atlanta, watching the World Cup there at much earlier hours than while in Germany!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you all had such enjoyable rendezvous(pl?).

    I really love the way everyone dresses up, cuts hair:) to support their teams. I saw the Germany v Poland game - Poland played an excellent game and can be proud of their performance. We are up at night - early morning to watch the games.

    Have a safe flight back to Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a birtday party last night, but the TV sure was on, so we had a chance to follow the game, too. Have a good and safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope your trip is safe. I guess theres so much to catch up on, especially a change in weather...

    Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DW: It really is a riot what fans do to root for their teams. I love it. And yes, I had 2 great rendezvous (yes, sing. and pl. :). Thanks. I'm in my Duesseldorf hotel with the England/Trinidad & Tobago game on in the background. I know you want England to win, so I'm rooting for them :)

    CS: Even people who don't like soccer or sports (like James) are watching. It's a world thing, I guess!

    ET: Thanks for travel wishes, all of you. I think you all get me here and then back home again!

    ReplyDelete

Daughter Amy in the Netherlands, 2024

  You may recall that daughter Amy has visited us in the Netherlands twice now (in 2019 and in 2022 ), both times in conjunction with busin...