Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Dead Sea Scrolls Body Scrub



HA. You're really gonna learn something about me today and will either laugh out loud or shake your head.

Remember at the tail end of our Scandinavian cruise in June when we both got massages? Mine was my first-ever hot-stones massage (which I loved). When the therapist first came into the room and started chatting with me, she noticed my dry skin. I told her I didn't put on any lotion before coming because I knew I'd get plenty of it during the massage.

She then proceeded to tell me that putting lotion on dry skin really only masks a deeper problem: dead skin that needs to be exfoliated. I dutifully listened as she described all the benefits of the scrub the ship sells, knowing full well that I would NOT pay $60 for a little 4 .oz jar. Still, I paid attention. Exfoliation was not something I did other than on my face. So this was new for me.

Once I got home, I did my research and ended up buying this 7 lb. pail for $25 on eBay (a $280 value, they said). "I'm not dumb," I said to myself. I might as well get something that will last the rest of my life (and make up for 60 years of lost time). As I've often said, once I get something, I really get it!

You know what the clincher was for me (besides the almond oil, which is one of my favorite fragrances!)? That it's salts and minerals from the Dead Sea . I grew up on the Bible stories around the Dead Sea in the valley between Israel and Jordan. Remember Lot's wife being turned into a pillar of salt? Remember the Dead Sea Scrolls?

At any rate, now that colder weather is really making my skin dry again, I'm thinking of the Dead Sea. I love the ritual of this scrub and how it makes my skin feel afterwards. It's almost a spiritual experience, if that makes sense.

Maybe it connects me to history that's hard to understand, juxtaposing the past to the present in the Middle East. Maybe it makes me feel like a world citizen. And maybe, just maybe, some DNA from that nameless woman made it into my pail!

19 comments:

  1. Eww! Then you'd have dead woman all over your face! *lol* :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Lisa. This stuff is for my arms and legs, not my face.

    Maybe I just have a certain sympathy for someone who would turn back to see, even if it was "against the law."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely look...but then I'm way too curious for my own good :) That sounds like an excellent scrub and a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA, DW! You and I would both look back (the Gemini twins!) and contibute our salts and minerals to this Dead Sea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boots, so much synchronicity here! Last night on the news was a piece about the Dead Sea and how it is really dying and disappearing. So sad. But I'm glad they use the salts for this good purpose. Now I want some!! Thanks for the tip. I "swam" in the Dead Sea in 1975, more like floated. You float without any effort or device -- quite an experience. Unfortunately it ended with me touching my eye and not being able to open it for 15 mintues. :| And oh, remember the science that says we breathe in molecules from Julius Ceasar (and every other human who's lived)? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had totally forgotten about that trip, Ruth! My goodness. Talk about up close and personal! Since I have enough to last me a lifetime, maybe I can bring you a little container at Christmas or July 4th. You'll love it.

    And YES. I knew there was a way to have her molecules become part of my own humanity!!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginnie, yes I had a good laugh. But I know it can be a deadly serious task to keep one's skin from drying out. So keep up and empty the "bucket" in record speed.LoL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that was my study abroad trip in 1975 when I went to 10 countries in 8 weeks. Crazy. But I'm glad I got to see Israel for a week of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can well understand your well-being after using this cream. Did you know that the dead sea is has many, many clinical resorts for psoriasis affected patients? And it really helps. So I can only guess that it feels wonderful for "just" normal dry skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TorAa: HA! I'm guessing you lucky stiffs in Norway take care of your dry skin by your saunas! When we were there they said even babies start taking saunas at an early age. The rest of us just have to scrub!

    Ruth: Can you imagine the pictures you would have taken if you had a digital camera back then!

    CS: No, I did not know that! Wow. I learn something new every day. Sounds like I did good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did very well. :-)

    As a matter of fact, my uncle was there twice to treat his psoriasis and it helped at lot. Unfortunately, the results are not really long term. Then, it's quite expensive and not reimbursed in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First I almost fell of my chair when looking at the box, then I had a good laugh..... then I was thinking; ohh those Scandinavian .... and was hoping you soon want to come back and get another massage:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. CS: I guess it's nice to know there is some relief but too bad it can't be a cure-all!

    Renny: I'd give an arm and a leg to go back to Scandinavia but not just for the massage (which I can get here). I want to see it all again. And this time I will make sure I meet you and Diane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh it looks very good. But my hands are dry at least 3 times a day and then they peel a little and I'm afraid that its a little artificial since I swim...

    Do they have something for sensitive skin? the lady's probably right, I'll have to look into it at least on my non swim days...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Swimming has got to be a different animal altogether, ET, though what do I know. All that chlorine has got to be deadly in a not-so-good way. But I'm sure there's something out there for people like you! As we say, just Google it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow....I will be the lucky one that will use this too, out of the same bucket.......
    you can rub it onto me and I will rub it onto you......we will have FUN.......
    I wuld love to try it, I never did.
    KSK

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...