Sunday, November 26, 2006

Going, Going, Gone


The long holiday weekend is now on its last leg! It will end for me late tonight when I pick Amy up at the airport from her time with Dennis and his family in LA. Thankfully, I'll have that ride back to her house to catch up on everything, even though it'll be late.

Donica and I drove the 65 miles to her mom's in south Atlanta on Thursday AND Friday in order to spend more time with her brother from Indianapolis. We also got great left-overs on Friday, the "second blessing" of Thanksgiving!


1:59 scale PT Cruiser (Matchbox-type dyecast car) from 2001

Yesterday was another big football Saturday (don't you dare roll your eyes!). We drove over to my son's apartment for the big GA vs. GA Tech game. When you have arch rivals meeting on the field, it really doesn't matter any more how they're ranked. In this case, GA Tech should have won because of their ranking, but GA won. So Mark was a very happy camper, and we with him.

But THE game we watched like a hawk was the evening game between USC and Notre Dame! If USC (Dennis' school) lost, it would clinch Michigan's #2 national ranking behind Ohio State. But USC won. Good for Dennis, bad for me. USC does still have one more game to play next Saturday (against UCLA, their arch rival!), so none of this is yet written in cement. But it appears that Michigan will now be ranked #3 nationally.

So, with the Thanksgiving holiday, Michigan, too, is Going, Going, Gone. I think. But as sister Ruth recently said, "The Rose Bowl ain't too shabby!" :)

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear Notre Dame lost for UM's sake. But I'm glad for Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you well in your sports dreams. Somehow, for the most part, sports never really caught my attention.

    Hoped you had a great Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that pic, it looks like such a lifesize car - great shot!

    And for football, well at least they are quite near the top... Rose Bowl sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth: As Dennis says, Amy has a win-win situation! :)

    Tim: I find that people get into college sports depending on what school they attended. If it's a big football school, that spirit stays with you throughout your life. I can attest to that. :)

    ET: Thanks for the macro compliment. And yes--why I'm complaining is beyond me. Anywhere in the top 5 is quite an honor, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your story concurs with Amy's, Dennis! :) It really WAS an amazing weekend for you both. Except for my family in Michigan, everyone has now been met. By the end of the year, in a month's time, the circle will be complete.

    And by then, the football games WILL be icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that was a real car until I read the post, and then I had to take a second look!! I'm glad Mark's team won, and sorry that your team lost, but hey, third is still good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Navin: Thanks for stopping by! Those 3 pics of your scale model are incredible. Do you have what the scale ratio is? Is it the size of a Matchbox car? If so, you have taken beautiful shots. And I can certainly understand why it's NOT a toy! :)

    DW: HA! I have no memory of where/how I got it but it sits in our shadow box as a reminder of our school spirit. :) Yes, we were happy about Mark's win. We're still holding our breath for this Saturday's game with USC and UCLA, because after that, the final rankings will be done for the year! Whew. But you're right, 3rd in the country ain't bad!

    ReplyDelete

Texel Island, NL, 2024: Renovations

  To be honest, I thought I had already posted about our January trip to start some renovations in Jaap's bungalow, as a gift from Astri...